Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2007, 09:07 AM

Default Lizard Questions....

A friend of mine wants to get rid of his lizards. Something about moving some furniture around and not having the room and also the cats keep trying to get in the tanks for a little snack.Personally i hate cats and I told him to just pull a Mike Vick and fry the Cats asses but you know the whole wife thing. Well leave that for another discussion.

Anyhow he has 2 african plated lizards and a leopard gecko and i told him i would take them. My kid thinks its a great idea. My buddy told me care is easy. Tank he cleans maybe once a year and it never stinks .For food he feeds them crickets once a week. He also has some heat lamps and other things with timers on them to make sure the lizards stay at the right temp. Im wondering if anyone who has owned these could recommend anything as to taking care of them. I have no knowledge in the subject whatsoever. Thanks

Mods im not sure if this should be in the science forum. If so i apologize and could you please move it.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:51 PM

Default Re: Lizard Questions....

Taking care of pet lizards is fairly easy, sort of. I think you will definitely need to at least buy a book on the care of leopard geckos. The two species are likely to have fairly similar requirements, but I know very little about plated lizards. I would say once a week is not adequate for either species. I have been maintaining leopard geckos for about ten years now (they live for 9-15 years.) They can be pretty cool pets but taking good care of them is fairly involved. They need a more varied diet than just crickets to stay healthy, and the crickets you do give them should either be gut-loaded(fed vitamins) or dusted with lizard supplement powder. Occasional feeding of mealworms and/or waxworms is also a good idea. For fully grown adult geckos pinkie mice are also very nutritious, but should only be given very rarely as they will make them fat. Would you say the animals you adopted look healthy?
Old 08-14-2007, 05:39 PM

pet posts without pics suck.

leopard gecko

african plated lizard
Old 08-15-2007, 06:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Taking care of pet lizards is fairly easy, sort of. I think you will definitely need to at least buy a book on the care of leopard geckos. The two species are likely to have fairly similar requirements, but I know very little about plated lizards. I would say once a week is not adequate for either species. I have been maintaining leopard geckos for about ten years now (they live for 9-15 years.) They can be pretty cool pets but taking good care of them is fairly involved. They need a more varied diet than just crickets to stay healthy, and the crickets you do give them should either be gut-loaded(fed vitamins) or dusted with lizard supplement powder. Occasional feeding of mealworms and/or waxworms is also a good idea. For fully grown adult geckos pinkie mice are also very nutritious, but should only be given very rarely as they will make them fat. Would you say the animals you adopted look healthy?

[/ QUOTE ]

I havent even got them yet asi will be getting them on Thursday. He says they are healthy but i guess i will wait and see. Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.