Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2006, 08:21 PM

Default Paramedics just rushed to take care of little old me (tl;dr)

I nearly fainted while lifting

Scene: in the middle of doing my second set of lunges on the squat rack

I had noticed I was feeling weaker than usual in my workout thus far. Rode the workout bike for 5 minutes to warm-up and everything seemed fine. I had done an unimpressive few sets of squats following some squat warm-ups (I always warm-up for the first few big body lifts by doind a few reps (5) of just the bar and then a few reps (4) of 95). I was supersetting lunges with the barbell at the squat rack and one arm barbell rows. I suddenly got real light-headed. My breathing rate quickened. I started to lose my vision (saw a bunch of greenish spots that were quickly growing and multiplying). I thought....[censored]
this really isn't good

Put the bar back on the rack

quick paced walk to the water fountain

a few gulps

some deep breaths

[censored] still bad

decided this was it for today's workout and tried to walk to the locker room

I made it about halfway across the weight room and stumbled my way to a stop on the shoulder press bench where I preceded to interrupt a nice student who got one of the fitness consultants on duty. Mass attention ensues

I'm about one breath from fading off to never, never land. The desire to sleep was only matched by a slight case of nausea and my desire to stay awake and get back to functioning normally.
Next thing I know, there are about 5 employees surrounding me with water, wet towels, and insurance sheets for me to fill out to limit their liability. They take down the relevant stuff. Ask what happened. Has this ever happened before? Yes, I almost blacked out twice in my life in similar experiences.
1) I was giving blood 6 or 7 years ago and I didn't respond well to it. The plasma center had to rehydrate me with kool-aid and give me a ride home.
2) About 12 years ago, I tried to come back and go 75% at basketball practice too soon after having mono. I ended up on the trainers table for a few hours before they would release me.

Next routine question: Had I ate today? Yes, not alot, but not a little either.
According to my fitday account, I had:
grams cals %total
Total: 1047
Fat: 38 345 34%
Sat: 8 76 7%
Poly: 10 89 9%
Mono: 13 117 11%
Carbs: 125 421 41%
Fiber: 20 0 0%
Protein: 63 253 25%
Alcohol: 0 0 0%

Orange, raw 85 0 21 2
Quaker Instant Oatmeal Weight Control Cinnamon 160 3 29 7
value whey protein powder 111 3 3 19
Milk, nonfat, fluid, protein fortified, with added vitamin A (fat free and skim) 50 0 7 5
Banana, raw 109 1 28 1
CARL BUDDIG, Smoked Sliced Chicken, light and dark meat 117 7 0 13
Bread, whole wheat, 100% 138 2 26 5
Peanut butter 95 8 3 4
Planter Dry Roasted Peanuts 170 14 5 7
Soft drink, cola-type 13 0 3 0

Given the time that I wake up and how much I eat in a day, I was maybe only 200-400 calories short of my average at that point of the day. I had also eaten within an hour and a half of going to work out.
BTW-thank you OOT fat-off for inspiring me to fill this stuff in and get my diet into better shape.

Was the workout new? Do you workout often?
Yes and yes. I do at least an hour of cardio 4X per week. I also lift on a somewhat routine program. I hadn't lifted the last 2 weeks due to a scheduled break period for muscle recovery. I was beginning a new program. It's designed to be challenging, but it's far from suicidal or very difficult.

Am I on anything?
sorry...no explanation here. I can count the number of times I've had illicit drugs on one hand in the last 7 years. I'm not taking any special supplements (unless you count my multi-vitamin and/or whey powder). I did take some Benadryl for allergies for 4-5 days about 2 weeks ago, but I'm sure that's out of the system now.

I'm not diabetic.

I do drink to the point of inebriation a couple of times a week, most recently Wednesday night I had about 40 oz of margarita with my dinner. (I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] mexican food)

after answering all this, I realize my fingers are tingling like they have a clitoris that someone has been working on for the past 15 minutes. The workout facility says they can call in paramedics that will be free if I don't ride in the ambulance to the hospital. I'm still feeling as strange as a midget trying to do a WNBA player, so I approve calling those guys up.

About 5 minutes later, they rush in like the end of days is near. I was quite impressed. They ask the same questions while taking my pulse and blood pressure(?). They say something like 115 over 85 at 134 beats/minute if that makes sense. Like I said, my brain wasn't all there (I now know how most donks think). This is about 15 -20 minutes after initially feeling like a punch-drunk boxer. They get out an oxygen tank and have me breathe it in...kinda cool...it flashes through my head that I just returned a kick for a td and this is how I recover. With everyone in the club staring at me, I did have quite the audience, but it was more for being an oddity than out of admiration and excitement.

Medics ask if I'm diabetic...no again.

Q: Do you want to goto the hospital?
A: Not if I can help it. Do I need to? Am I in danger?
Medics: Most likely no. It would only be precautionary. I thought you would say no.
ME: NO. Not unless I'm really in trouble.
Medics: You should be fine, but don't hesitate to call us back if you feel anything out fo the ordinary.

they make small talk to make sure i'm alert and with the world. The chat reminded me of being a wing-man and having to talk to females who look more like trolls than women. The one medic said something that sounded like I was getting too much carbon-dioxide in my breathing and that the oxygen mask will help. It only kind of made sense to me, but I am a [censored] and might not have hear a thing correctly.

Medics say I look pink again, take it easy the rest of the night (as if that needed to be said), work out with a partner in the future (yeah...because the hundred people in there couldn't handle my [censored]), and that's about it.

I am slightly concerned though. I'm a young guy (26) in pretty good shape who wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary. Maybe I should go for a full check-up.

ty for allowing me to share
Old 06-02-2006, 08:25 PM

Default Re: Paramedics just rushed to take care of little old me (tl;dr)

Whats the weather like?
Old 06-02-2006, 08:27 PM

77°F
Feels Like
77°F
Updated Jun 2 07:00 p.m. CT
UV Index: 0 Low
Wind: From SE at 7 mph
Humidity: 56%
Pressure: 29.97 in.
Dew Point: 60°F
Visibility: 10.0 miles

an absolutely beautiful day in Urbana, IL

why?
Old 06-02-2006, 08:29 PM

You arent too far from stl, and it wasnt that extreme here today, so it probably wasnt weather. Usually i get this feeling, but never to the extreme you had when I am 1. dehydrated 2. its 95 w/ 80 percent humidity, 3. Overtraining.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:33 PM

yeah...the usual explanations just aren't applying here

I'm a little freaked
Old 06-02-2006, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm a little freaked

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, you just overdid the leg routine, or pushed yourself too hard. Lunges are imo, one of the hardest exersices, and if you were doing them with some heavy weight, after a 2 week lay off, you might of just pushed yourself a little too hard w/o realizeing.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:37 PM

Coulda been something like heat stroke, if it were super hot/humid. I had this once, back in high school. I was on the tennis team, and it was a relatively warm/muggy day for where I live (Seattle). We ran lines on the basketball court during practice, and then I drank a ton of water, probably over-hydrated. A couple of minutes later, I got what felt like a huge headrush, got very dizzy, and my vision went pretty blurry for maybe 30 seconds. I didn't pass out/fall over, but the knees got very wobbly. Coach chalked it up to the heat.

The only other time this happened to me was after a night of HEAVY drinking, when I was hung over as hell on a very humid day.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:43 PM

definitely not heat stroke...it's very mild for Illinois right now

I get a slightly colder version of St Louis weather (closer to STL weather than Chicago by far) were I live and, as guids pointed out, it's freaking fabulous today

Guids is probably right...I must have overworked and not even realized.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm a little freaked

[/ QUOTE ]

the hiv
Old 06-02-2006, 08:46 PM

thanks for calming me down sigh