Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2007, 10:23 PM

Default Building WebPages Help

What is the best place to learn how to build simple websites? I'm pretty good with computers and know some basic HTML but for some reason I've just never gotten into building webpages. What is the best software to get started that will do most of what i need it to do ie Frontpage? Are there any good books that i should get? Keeping in mind that i want to build decent webpages but nothing too fancy.

Thanks in advance

- KEVBO -
Old 05-17-2007, 12:07 AM

Default Re: Building WebPages Help

Dreamweaver. Dreamweaver. Dreamweaver. What's great is the most nub website owner can design on it, and once you gain all the know-how's, you can do anything your little heart desires. Worth the cost.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:36 AM

I only have experience with Front Page and manual editing, but if you check out the wikipedia entry for HTML editor you will find a list that includes free and shareware editors including WYSIWYG ones. I was thinking of downloading Nvu and playing around with it, though the developer of same has stopped working on it and is developing another version of Composer for the Mozilla organization (and Nvu is based on Composer).
Old 05-17-2007, 10:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dreamweaver. Dreamweaver. Dreamweaver. What's great is the most nub website owner can design on it, and once you gain all the know-how's, you can do anything your little heart desires. Worth the cost.

[/ QUOTE ]

I keep being told this so it seems this is the direction that I'll be going in. Once I get my feet wet I'll probably try more advanced stuff but in the meantime I don't want to get ahead of myself and would rather keep things simple. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:06 AM

As mentioned, as far as applications go, Dreamweaver is #1. If you want to learn more about coding, http://www.w3schools.com/ is a good place to start.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:34 PM

NVu is great, open source, and runs on Mac, Windows, & Linux. It's definitely my go-to easy editor.

I suggest you try NVu before Dreamweaver, since it's easier and cheaper (but eventually less powerful, after you learn all of Dreamweaver).
-Sam
Old 05-17-2007, 09:42 PM

I suggest you try NVu if you want, it certainly ain't bad.

[ QUOTE ]

(but eventually less powerful, after you learn all of Dreamweaver)

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I am not so keen on DreamWeaver, always ran into problems trying to do (complicated) JavaScript stuff, PHP problems also. I have to consider DreamWeaver "limited" at best, unless I am missing something.

The stupid thing poached all the file extensions for *.js files, completely breaking many of my WScript JavaScript files - probably an install option, but I didn't noticeand it wasted a good amount of my time to put right again [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I gave it some time (like 2 months) then went back to KATE for real work.

DreamWeaver very good for manufacturing a standard site in a hurry, no doubt.

But to *learn* webpage creation, use a decent text editor, and learn how to use it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] old skool, I know [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]