Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2007, 11:00 AM

Default Hand Quiz: Call or Fold?

25/50 Blinds

MP raises 175. Hero calls in cutoff with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
SB raises to 450. MP player folds Hero calls.
No real read on SB. Seems a decent player with some experience.

Flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB checks. Hero bets 650. SB calls.

Turn: J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB checks. Hero checks.
SB says, "What are you on a flush draw?" Alarm bells go off in my head.

Turn: T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB checks. Hero value bets 1000.
SB raises all in. I have about 1200 left. Hero thinks and FOLDS.

My analysis:
When he raised from the SB after a raise and cold call, I think he's got a big pair or some big cards. I don't know if the player is a donkey and thinks KJ, KT, etc. is good here.

He checks the flop and I think either he is playing me or he has something like QQ, JJ and the K makes him nervous. I make a small bet. He calls.

I do not like the turn because if he did have JJ he's just filled up. So I check behind. This is further reinforced by his flush draw comment. I thought he was trying to throw me off by pretending to be scared of a flush when he was already full. Or he may have a flush draw but I do not think it likely.

The river brings a flush and he checks. He checked twice so I think I must have the best hand and he had QQ. He raises all in and my heart sinks. I think he had AA, JJ, TT and filled up on the turn or river, or I was dead from the beginning. If he put me on a hand like KJ he knows my two pair is no good to his AA up, if he has AA. AQ is also possible for the straight.

I muck. He shows. Did I do the right thing? What would you do?
Call or Fold?
Old 06-05-2007, 11:12 AM

Default Re: Hand Quiz: Call or Fold?

Wow, you messed up pretty bad... Bet more on the flop! If he calls and then checks the turn, I'd probably check too. Your so called "value bet" on the river sucks!
Old 06-05-2007, 11:24 AM

I fold, you're def beat. I woudld've pushed all in on turn.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:29 AM

I'm checking this river behind every time..What stakes is this tourn. At level 1, this is a fairly chaotic hand..SB is reraising oop. He is either doing a very early squeeze play or has a monster..His check on the flop smells like Ks full but range is certainly beyond as he is an unknown. As played, I practically rule out KK because I can't seem him checking the river after you check behind the turn. The flush draw comment is just a donk statement given there was no draw on the flop.

I play this hand differently..That's as good a flop as we're going to get..A7 is not in his range so 77,KK,AA are the only hands we're worried about here..77,KK less likely because of what's already out..So I slow play this flop a good portion of the time heads up and let him bluff the turn. If the flop is check check, I bet, or raise the turn and then fold to a reraise. The turn is too draw heavy to let him see the river for free..
Old 06-05-2007, 11:29 AM

What a bad 'value'-bet!
Isn't the T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] scary? Anyhow, you are putting him on trip jacks or a flush or 2 pair, and still you bet after he checked.. The way you say it it seems more like bluffing
Old 06-05-2007, 11:32 AM

with all that said..the villian seems real donkish..raises oop and checks the flop and turn..calling all the way down..then checks the river (with a possible made hand) hoping the hero bets the river after the hero checking behind on the turn...just weird.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:40 AM

What were the stack sizes and what $ tourny?
Old 06-05-2007, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
with all that said..the villian seems real donkish..raises oop and checks the flop and turn..calling all the way down..then checks the river (with a possible made hand) hoping the hero bets the river after the hero checking behind on the turn...just weird.

[/ QUOTE ]

No offence, but they both seem pretty donky :s
Old 06-05-2007, 11:43 AM

In hindsight it is a stupid value bet. Maybe a habit from limit holdem. But after the guy checks twice shouldn't I think my hand is good?

After two checks I had him on QQ. It was after the all in that I thought for sure he must have filled up.

Certainly the river was scary but wouldn't he bet after I checked the turn? What was my error here? Was this just a clueless donk play and I shouldn't worry about it? Am I wrong to think that this would be a correct line to take 90% of the time.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:50 AM

I think you shouldnt try to put him on a hand like that without any reads. You seem to give him alot of credit for monster hands, couldnt he have AJo or something?

You seem to put him on a hand that beats u all the time and then on the river you even think he had Queens all the time.

Your hand might indeed be good, but what hand will he call you with? KQ seems like the only hand that would call you here that you could beat. All other calls will probably beat you anyhow since I don't know how he can call with a weaker hand.