Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2006, 05:17 PM

Default UFC Pound for Pound?

I'm rapidly becomming a UFC junkie, it has totally replaced boxing for me. P4P lists are commonly debated in boxing, but I haven't seen or heard anything about it in UFC. Is there a magzine that does this?

I'm guessing the top few would be Hughes, Arlofski (sp?) and Lidell, but I have no idea after that.

Anyone have a good list?
Old 04-04-2006, 05:30 PM

Default Re: UFC Pound for Pound?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm rapidly becomming a UFC junkie, it has totally replaced boxing for me. P4P lists are commonly debated in boxing, but I haven't seen or heard anything about it in UFC. Is there a magzine that does this?

I'm guessing the top few would be Hughes, Arlofski (sp?) and Lidell, but I have no idea after that.

Anyone have a good list?

[/ QUOTE ]

Go to www.sherdog.com They discuss stuff like that a lot there. Here is their most recent list: link.(Although note that Tankori Gomi, who is tied for #1 on the list just lost a couple of days ago after the list came out) Another thing that you should realize is that there is Japanese MMA league called Pride that generally has better fighters than the UFC at the higher weight classes. The heavyweight division in the UFC is extremely weak compared to pride.

Anyway, IMO the top 5 P4P fighters in the world are
1. Fedor Emelianenko
2. Matt Hughes
3. Rich Franklin
4. Wanderlei Silva
5. George St. Pierre
Old 04-04-2006, 05:43 PM

Pride is better but if you want UFC names that you didn't mention, I will say Franklin, Mir, St. Pierre, maybe Ortiz, Belfort when he isn't in his own dome and acting retarded--he may be the most lethal when at his peak, Penn (last guy to defeat Hughes, eh?), Yves Edwards maybe.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:05 PM

Thanks guys.

I know about Pride, that's good stuff. I didn't know they had better heavyweights. How would Arlofski compare to their heavyweights?

I've seen most of the people mentioned in this thread fight. GSP looked unbelievable in the Trigg fight, but that's all I've seen of him. I see he's fighting Hughes at the end of the year; wow. Gomi impressed me a lot as well, but again I've only seen him once.

I've never even heard of Emelianeko, guess I have to look into him =)
Old 04-04-2006, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks guys.

I know about Pride, that's good stuff. I didn't know they had better heavyweights. How would Arlofski compare to their heavyweights?

I've seen most of the people mentioned in this thread fight. GSP looked unbelievable in the Trigg fight, but that's all I've seen of him. I see he's fighting Hughes at the end of the year; wow. Gomi impressed me a lot as well, but again I've only seen him once.

I've never even heard of Emelianeko, guess I have to look into him =)

[/ QUOTE ]

Arlovski is probably somewhere around 4th overall out of the heavyweights, but there are rumors that he may leave the UFC. The UFC probably only has 2 heavyweights in the top 10 (Arlovski and Tim Sylvia, who is closer to 10). You should definitely check out Fedor's fights, there are some on google video.