Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2007, 04:19 AM

Default 600NL HU 250 deep vs Phwap

Villain is Phwap on FTP. He's very aggro, running at (HU stats only!) 42/35/6 with flop/turn/river aggression freqs of 60/55/80, and a cbet freq of 82. This is over our first 200 hands HU. He likes to 3bet oop alot. He's also been calling raises oop with stuff like Q8o and floating any draw or small piece.

In 3bet pots he cbets less but has raised the turn allin once before and I instafolded my FD.

I have been playing tight and slightly passive, hoping to rope-a-dope him cuz he's wayyy too aggro with mediocre hands.

I'm pretty sure this hand is totally standard, but given my reads is there anyway I can win more/lose less?

Also, I would of course 3bet this pf 19/20 times, but this is that one time where I changed it up.

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $3/$6
2 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
SB: $1635.75
Hero: $1498.75

Pre-flop: (2 players) Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">SB raises to $18</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($36, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $36</font>, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises to $144</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($324, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $200</font>, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises all-in $1473.75</font>, Hero folds.
Uncalled bets: $1273.75 returned to SB.

Results:
Final pot: $724
Old 02-07-2007, 04:26 AM

Default Re: 600NL HU 250 deep vs Phwap

3bet pf please

And if your not going to 3bet pf than don't donk the flop especially if he's cbetting a lot.

And if your going to donk the flop and you get raised don't donk the turn again.

So basically outisde of folding the turn you screwed up
Old 02-07-2007, 12:19 PM

call down
Old 02-07-2007, 12:25 PM

Phwap is really bad but this is not the way to beat him. I basically agree with Eagles, you want to build the pot pf with the best hand and charge him a lot to float on the flop (since you will be making a cbet). As played you want to control pot size OOP with huge stacks and a dangerous board, and leading multiple streets does the opposite of that.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:28 PM

I would c/c, c/f.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hoping to rope-a-dope him cuz he's wayyy too aggro with mediocre hands.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $36</font>,

[/ QUOTE ][ QUOTE ]
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $200</font>,

[/ QUOTE ][ QUOTE ]
Hero folds.

[/ QUOTE ]

You just need to make up your mind what you want to do, and then do it. This is horrible as you are playing exactly so he will profit the most by his aggressive tendencies.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, I should of course 3bet this pf 20/20 times, but this is that one time where I made a big mistake and didn't

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-07-2007, 01:44 PM

like eagles, i hate the line of weak preflop and flop lead. it wouldn't be so bad if you were leading a lot of flops, but it sounds like you haven't been. you got relatively lucky to call and hit top pair and now you're going to tell him about it?

if he's c-betting 82%, why not checkraise and let him get some money in the pot with a wider range of hands?

"In 3bet pots he cbets less but has raised the turn allin once before and I instafolded my FD."

maybe he had a FD there. or maybe he feels the need to protect top pair on drawy boards. he can be pretty sure you're folding on the turn. essentially, any hands that are going to call that turn allin, you would've three bet the flop (i think).
Old 02-07-2007, 01:55 PM

Wow you're flop donkbet vs. an overaggro opponent sucks. He's going to put a TON of pressure on you. I c/c all day.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Also, I should of course 3bet this pf 20/20 times, but this is that one time where I made a big mistake and didn't

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay this is long and detailed. Thanks for the responses so far.

I made it clear that I would 3 bet this 95% of the time. But three-betting AK OOP 100% of the time is a gigantic leak from a metagame perspective--in any pot where I've just called a raise from BB my opponent knows for certain that I'm not holding AK. At 6max and FR this might be a minor consideration, but its important HU against aware opponents with whom you have a history.

Also, changing it up has an "implied value" that depends on how deep you are. With 75BB stacks variations from ABC have minimal benefit because any deception you gain can have only a small maximum benefit. With 250BB stacks, variations from standard lines early on can lead opponents to make mistakes on later streets that are much more costly. On occasion, you should be willing to give up some small amount of value early in the hand to gain a possibly much large benefit later.

The 1/20 times when we vary strategy--like this hand--we have to make adjustments on later streets to account for the non-standard play earlier in the hand, and the way that non-standard play has likely affected the range villain is putting us on.

In my defense (I'm not entirely convinced, but this was my thought process) the flop donk bet is required after the smooth call preflop because thus far I have very little info about his hand--all I know is that he's on the top ~50% of hands because that's how often he raises from the button. Further, since he's c-betting 8/10 times, I stand to gain very little info about his hand by checking to him.

Check-raising the flop means I'm putting in a very large bet with little info, deep stacks, and very little idea of how to proceed correctly if called or pushed over.

Check-calling would also get very little info, but is preferable to a check-raise IMO because at least I don't narrow my own range very much either, making it harder for him to play correctly on later streets.

When I lead, I gain enough info that I can play much better later on. If called I must assume I am ahead, and can go for stack-a-donk on most turn cards, check-caling many others. If raised, as I was, I can narrow his range greatly, but obviously not nearly enough to fold. Four-betting the flop is an option, and probably gets the most value out of combo draws/AJ type hands, but also makes it hard to get away from the many hands that beat me.

On the turn, where is my hand's value? Is he paying off here with AT or AJ? I think he is much of the time. He's definitely paying off with any of the many draws and many of the one pair + gutshot hands he could have. He's folding air, drawless one-pair hands, and not much else. And he's not firing those very often if checked to, IMO.

After the turn donk, I am getting raised by a worse hand here never. He views me as tight, waiting for a chance to stack him, and seems intent on getting it all-in against me, so obv the fold is pretty easy.

For those who advise checking turn given action as played what is your plan? Check-raising means you've gotten it all-in 250 deep with one pair, not a good idea. Check-calling here commits your stack as well because, if he is called on the turn, he's pushing almost any river when checked to.

Again, I'm not totally convinced, but one of the virtues of this line is that it allows me to avoid value stacking myself, and still gets value from worse hands.