Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2006, 12:44 AM

Default I get isolated, a draw, and tricky

villain in this hand is an aggressive lag who'll fight for pots, but can make ok flop and turn laydowns. above average for 1/2, but probably not at the caliber of most 2/4 players I've been dealing with.

Dealt to <font color="blue">hero</font> [Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]]
<font color="blue">hero</font> - Raises $2 to $2
mp - Raises $3 to $3
co - Folds
SB- Folds
BB - Folds
<font color="blue">hero</font> - Calls $1

*** FLOP *** [9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]

<font color="blue">hero</font> - Checks
mp - Bets $1
<font color="blue">hero</font> - Raises $2 to $2
mp - Raises $2 to $3
<font color="blue">hero</font> - Calls $1

i tend to checkraise a lot of safe flops anyway, as he'll threebet with a wide range, and can lay it down if he's got nothing. I have only done this once to this particular villain before, but I have been going after his blinds a lot.

*** TURN *** [9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]] [10[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]

mp - Bets $2
<font color="blue">hero</font> - Calls $2

*** RIVER *** [9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 10[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]] [3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]

mp - Bets $2
<font color="blue">hero</font> - Raises $4 to $4
mp - Raises $4 to $6
<font color="blue">hero</font> - Calls $2

my thought here - villain can only call with a heart if I lead that river, but he'll bet all kinds of hands once i show proper passivity. I puke and call his reraise.

spew?
Old 02-07-2006, 01:35 AM

Default Re: I get isolated, a draw, and tricky

I will usually C/F the flop.
What 3 betting hands do you beat?
What 3 betting hands will fold on this board?
If you hit a K or Q on the turn, you may still be dominated.

It may seem week to C/F but this is a terrible flop for KQo against a 3 betting hand.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:37 AM

I would routinely fold this flop aswell.

True
Old 02-07-2006, 07:03 AM

Throw me in the flop fold camp.
You're outs are tainted. I give you 1 for the bd flush and 4 for your pair outs. You have almot no fold equity on this board.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:50 AM

That river c/r is horrible, btw. If you thought at the time that he'd call with something like the 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], you probably overestimated the EV of the c/r. He's going to fold a lot of hearts and all air to the c/r, and 3bet the A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and maybe the K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], as well as boats etc. I just bet/call.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:52 AM

this guy is not a 2+2er.

i read villain's threebetting range to be any two broadways and lots of pocket pairs. probably 55+

i felt like I had a lot of his range dominated, and many outs vs the rest. I knew that I'd have to call down if I paired up, and I felt ok making a move on the flop since he had shown the ability to lay down a hand after raising it up pf.

i fold this flop vs tighter or more passive players, but not this guy.

as it turned out, he isolated me too lightly given how tight i had played to that point, he was just re-stealing on the flop, semibluffing the turn, and he overplayed the river.

someone tell me his hand.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That river c/r is horrible, btw. If you thought at the time that he'd call with something like the 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], you probably overestimated the EV of the c/r. He's going to fold a lot of hearts and all air to the c/r, and 3bet the A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and maybe the K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], as well as boats etc. I just bet/call.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree with this. That river play exposed me to waay too much risk, and i should have only tried it on an unpaired board and with the K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

i don't like my play on that street.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:35 PM

I'll pass on this one. It doesn't feel like a good spot to get tricky because there is a reasonable chance that LAG has a hand that's better than yours and he has position. If you give him a 3-betting range of AA-88, AK-AJ, and KQ, there are only two hands which don't have you hurting (AJ and KQ), so your best chance of winning is to get him to fold or catch a miracle. I wouldn't think that LAG knows how to fold on a medium paired flop, which leaves you chasing outs. You're getting 7:1 which means you need about 6 outs to make a profitable call. At *BEST* you've got 6 outs (against JJ-TT, 88), so there's no way you'll have enough outs when you weigh in all the bad cases (AA-QQ, 99, AK-AQ). Yes, the backdoor straight/flush are nice, but it's not going to be enough to tilt the scales in your favor.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you give him a 3-betting range of AA-88, AK-AJ, and KQ, there are only two hands which don't have you hurting (AJ and KQ), so your best chance of winning is to get him to fold or catch a miracle.

[/ QUOTE ]

his range is waaaay wider than that. any two broadways and lots of pocket pairs.

the one factor that I didn't account for was the fact that something tilted him the hand before. I didn't realize exactly how tilted he was until after the hand (and the ensuing 20 in which he blew the rest of his stack on hopeless bluffs), mainly because I had seen him lay hands down after being aggressive a few times recently.

He must have just decided that he was through getting pushed around by better hands. I was not privvy to this until showdown though.

Villain's hand: <font color="white">KxJh</font>

I still don't like my river play, but I think his flop range is still wide enough to make the c/r. If I don't, he wins every time I don't connect, and his range is too wide to be giving up that much.

Again, I'll fold this to a tighter player or to a more passive one. not this guy.