Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2007, 02:05 PM

Default Biggest discrepancy between math and verbal scores on GRE/SAT

I scored 290 points lower on the verbal section (lived in US my whole life) of the GRE than I did on the math. I am posting this partly because I believe I have some sort of attention defecit and am wondering if anyone else is in the same boat as me and if there is any kind of relationship here.

I have a lot of trouble retaining information that I just read and piecing it together logically. But, I have an amazing ability to do short simple math problems quicker than most anybody. I am also probably in the lower 20 percent of people when it comes to recalling moive lines or music.

Im just tired of having to reread everything over and over to understand.

How big of a difference did you have in your scores?
Is anyone else like me?
Old 02-21-2007, 08:43 PM

Default Re: Biggest discrepancy between math and verbal scores on GRE/SAT

You just seem a smart guy who is not centered. It's not an easy thing to solve and live with, but it's something a lot of people is suffering actually.

Too many things in our lives. I would suggest a more quite live, specially little television, films and video games.

Feel fortunate, you could be dumb and not centered.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:38 AM

750 - 570 = 180
Old 02-22-2007, 03:27 AM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?

790M
560V
Old 02-22-2007, 09:21 AM

790M 520V Holla.

Also, a 800 on verbal is WAY WAY WAY tougher to get than an 800 in math. Look at the statistics on GREs website. Like only 1% get above a 650 or so I think.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:21 PM

Those with scientific degrees are a 1/4 more employable than those with Arts - stick in there with the reading and you're sure to have an advantage over the 'usual' crowd!
Old 02-24-2007, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
790M 520V Holla.

Also, a 800 on verbal is WAY WAY WAY tougher to get than an 800 in math. Look at the statistics on GREs website. Like only 1% get above a 650 or so I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definately true. I got an 800 on the math and it only put me in the 92nd percentile, but a 710 verbal got me I think 99 or 97th percentile.

(thinly veiled brag post)

And personally, I think the verbal section is very poorly designed, because half of it relies on identifying totally obscure words, some of which I've literally never seen once in my life.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:57 PM

You are probably going to have to accept that this is just how your mind works. My mind works kind of similarly-- I am pretty good at coming up with theories to describe things or designing experiments or figuring out solutions to problems and what not but my memory is absolutely horrible. I can go to a talk and not be able to remember what was said at the talk an hour later even though I understood it completely while I was there. When people say absent minded professor they mean me.

It doesn't sound like you have the same sort of problem remembering things, though. If you have a problem with comprehending things when you are reading them you are just going to have to accept it and learn to deal with it. In our culture for some reason we are taught that if you are smart you do not have to apply effort to things and so applying effort seems like a failing instead of a good thing. Applying effort above and beyond what "other people" have to do is viewed as bad. But that is not true.

Your mind is very good at one thing and very bad at the other. So you just have to accept that your mind is very bad at the one thing and learn to work in such a way that you minimize the amount of problems it causes you. For my memory problem, for example, I carry around a notebook and I write everything down, even things I know I will remember because I always forget those. If I am talking to someone and they start asking me for details about something like a scientific paper I read or something and I can't remember them, I just say to them that I cannot remember but if they want to wait I can send them an email or we can swing by my desk and I can give them the details.

For your reading comprehension troubles I would recommend being a little more methodical about how you read things. Using a scientific paper as an example I would skim over the whole paper first so I got a clear idea of the big picture in my head. Then I would go look at all of the figures and get an idea of what they were trying to show. Then I would go read the whole paper. Finally I would do a little diagram in the margin that was like why they did this -> what experiments they did -> what did they show -> how did they interpret it, to make sure I had it straight in my head. Come up with little systems to help yourself for whatever task you are doing. It might help you to summarize everything when you read it. Or take notes in the margins. Or read a little bit and think about it for a while and come back to it. It's not bad that you are slower to comprehend when you read. Maybe you are slower but you understand more deeply. Either way the only way you are going to not have it be a major problem for you is to come up with tricks to deal with it.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:40 PM

I never took the SAT, only the ACT was required for me, but I got a 35 on the math and a 28 on the reading comprehension.

On the PSAT I scored perfectly on the math section and around 70th percentile on the verbal.

I, like you, can do math problems very quickly, but my ability to retain what I just read and piece it together in a logical fashion is not up to par. Interestingly enough, however, I can often remember exact quotes from books months after seeing them or can sing songs after hearing them only once.

I did a quick reply, but this was supposed to be for the OP.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:28 AM

The memory, all people have good sides with it and bad sides with it. Logic and memory are of course different. Math needs visual memory, work memory, so it may look strange you have that much problems with text. Comparing it to me, my problem is that I don't have problems with even complex texts but many others have (I have to try to avoid producing too much complexity). On math my visual memory, work memory, is not as good as what your's is.

Maybe your personality is strong with extroverted intuition and relatively too weak on introverted intuition. The latter is able to deal with memory in a way that processes texts, while with extroverted intuition the texts memory is not that much needed, just the visual memory and work memory.