Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2007, 09:53 PM

Default I think I invented the best dessert ever

Hey OOT cooks--

I kind of stumbled on this accidentally, putting some stuff together that I had in my fridge. The result was amazing though, a great combination of flavors and textures.

4 ingredients -- some cookie base (I actually used a neutral water cracker, but something like a butter cookie, or a pastry shell, would be perfect I think), mascarpone cheese, apricot preserves, and a good-quality dark chocolate.

(btw, that Tres Picos in the background is a terrific $15 wine)

Then just build a little open face sandwich -- cookie, then a dab of the mascarpone, a spoonful of the preserves, and top with the chocolate. The picture shows a shard of the chocolate broken off from a block, but the next time I made this I melted the chocolate and drizzled it on top of everything--same taste, but it looked a bit nicer.

This is what the final product looked like.

Like I said, great combination of flavors and textures. You've got the tangy sweetness of the preserves playing off against the creamy mascarpone, with the chocolate sort of enveloping everything...and the crunch of the cracker against the cheese and the preserves. I'm not describing it very well, but I've made this a half dozen times since then for family and friends and gotten rave reviews. Thought I'd share with OOT. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 03-05-2007, 09:55 PM

Default Re: I think I invented the best dessert ever

Interesting texture. I'd buy an order and try it.

fyc
Old 03-05-2007, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
4 ingredients -- some cookie base (I actually used a neutral water cracker, but something like a butter cookie, or a pastry shell, would be perfect I think), mascarpone cheese, apricot preserves, and a good-quality dark chocolate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not an apricot fan, but this would seem to work just as well as something like strawberry or backberry preserves. I could only imagine how awesome this would be on a cheesecake base. Just whip up a cheesecake batter, put a vanilla waffer (or graham cracker) in the bottom of a cupcake liner, tiny bit of cheesecake batter, bake and top.

Damn, I'm hungry just thinking about it.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:36 PM

Rhone,

Replace the apricot preserves w/ jalapeņo jelly (or raspberry).