Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2007, 09:00 AM

Default I folded the nuts

Maybe 6-8 handed live 40 game. Villain is Joe Tall. We played together once before and I'm pretty sure we were not involved in a single pot together. I didn't know who he was until he left and Mike L told me. I'm not positive that he knows who I am at this point, but the way he looks at me I'm pretty sure that he does. What this means is he probably doesn't think I'm a retard. Preflop action is basically made up. The point is that there are a billion players preflop, it makes no difference what their position is. Joe is early/middleish and I'm small blind.

So there's like 1 fold, Joe raises, 3 cold calls, I 3bet A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the sb, bb may or may not have called, the rest all call.

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I still have the nuts so I bet. Fold to Joe who raises and fold to me and I call.

Turn: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

RAMALAMADINGDONG

I bet, he calls.

River: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I bet, he raises and I fold pretty quickly.

At first I thought it was good, then I regretted it because I'm a degenerate and I like to see a showdown once I get all the way to the river with the nuts, then I remembered that it's okay to fold, but then I remembered that AK never loses so perhaps I miscalculated.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:07 AM

Default Re: I folded the nuts

wow that's pretty bad. pretty sure you folded half the pot. he could have 99 but other than that you made a pretty nice mistake.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:14 AM

Please don't tell me things like that. Tell me he had 44. That makes perfect sense.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:33 AM

can't he have AKc, AQc, AJc, ATc here like all day. Or hell, maybe he only needs one club and an ace to play this way. I'm sure he's also capable of bluff raises as well w/ other clubs.

I guess A9 and 99 are possible, but i think this is a really really bad fold.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:51 AM

Yeah, awful fold with that much money in the pot. Sure, he could have 99, A9, even AA, but it's worth one last bet to find out.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:56 AM

joe wouldnt raise with that, he would limp or fold.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Please don't tell me things like that. Tell me he had 44. That makes perfect sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Forget about what he might have. Just call. In heads up pots offering you 10 to 1 or better with top pair, hand reading is a skill that will cost you money. Call.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:48 AM

You prolly folded half the pot at least. Joe won't raise 44 pf, he also won't raise many 9x hands pf aside from 99 and A9. His turn call/river raise is a classice line for AK/AQ espcially b/c that 4 changed nothing
Old 04-29-2007, 12:24 PM

"In heads up pots offering you 10 to 1 or better with top pair, hand reading is a skill that will cost you money."

let's not get carried away. part of playing live limit hold em is playing against many opponents against whom you can easily laydown tptk in 100 bb pots if you have to.
Old 04-29-2007, 12:25 PM

Joe check-called the turn and check-raised the river once vs. me when he spiked an A on the turn to go with his AQ. My range was wider than yours in that hand but it speaks to his willingness to put off a raise until the river when he spikes a good Ace top pair on the turn.

In general though if you can fold this river easily then he is not very good...and he is.