Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 08:56 PM

Default when the NUTS shrivels up on the river

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (9 handed) internettexasholdem.com

UTG+1 (t10960)
MP1 (t5883)
MP2 (t6980)
MP3 (t2488)
CO (t4198)
Button (t2150)
SB (t9135)
BB (t5064)
Hero (t9100)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Hero calls t200, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t600</font>, <font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, Hero calls t400.

Flop: (t1500) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t1100</font>, UTG+1 calls t1100.

Turn: (t3700) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t2000</font>, UTG+1 calls t2000.

River: (t7700) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets t7260 (All-In)</font>, Hero ?

i cant block bet it pot commits. i cant go all in for value what lesser hands call? so thats why i checked in first place. and yes i know preflop you guys fold. i know i know thats my stlye, and im setting up future plays. just comment on the river and what you would do.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:15 PM

Default Re: when the NUTS shrivels up on the river

He probably doesn't have AQ, KQ, AA, or KK, because he didn't pop you with a raise on a flush draw board. He might have badly misplayed 99, JJ, QQ or QJ by just calling you on flop, but probably not. Most likely, he is on AT, AJ, TT, 88-under and is trying to attack because you showed weakness at the Queen pairing. Even if he has a tight image, I would probably call since this looks more like a steal rather than trying to get a scared hand to call the nuts/ 2nd nuts.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:51 PM

what hand do you think villain has here that boated on the river, yet never raised you anywhere else in the hand? on this board?!

by the way, fold preflop
Old 10-10-2007, 11:48 PM

Image establishment at 100/200 is kinduv silly; limp/flat calls UTG is not going to mean much. Besides, if you want to establish image, you would be better served open raising to 550 a couple of times. Or, you could do what I did, which was curse out a player for using his disconnect option to decide whether to flat call after limping SB and BB raises half his stack. But, you're a gentleman. I'm a terrible person who needs a month off from poker.

In fact, if you think about it, if you flat call UTG and then call a raise, it's going to suck later on if you try to pull it off with AA/AK and shorter stacks are afraid to push against you now. Finally, if you are going to flat call UTG for image, try it with something that is easier to get away from than K10s. Because, honestly, K10 is one of my least favorite hands, it's so dangerous and disgusting in almost any position.

Anyway, I fist pump and call this river. You checked the river, he pushes AI. Why? Because this wreaks of 1010 a ton. Also, KcQc could very well put that weak 600 raise preflop. If he slow played AA here, well, it's actually not terrible given this flop. I mean, on this board, this deep, if you limp, called, lead, I'd be concerned and flat call too.

I still fist pump call the river tho.

Barry
Old 10-11-2007, 12:37 AM

2:1 = easy call.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:05 AM

This is a check call for me alot of the time