Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2007, 05:50 PM

Default exchanging euros for dollars

anyone know what the best deal is for exchanging euros for dollars is these days? i won a small tourney @ the aviation club last summer & came home with about 2000 euros. when i got home i just traded them for dollars with a friend who was on his way to europe. it worked out because neither of us had to pay any fees and we both got the correct exchange rate. i was just wondering what big tourny winners do in order to avoid paying any juice to convert their money. any insights would be much appreciated.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:28 PM

Default Re: exchanging euros for dollars

Would there be any interest in a 2+2 currency exchange?

Banks screw us with the sxchange rates and commission.

Lots of Europeans will be coming to the Bellagio and the WSOP while lots of Americans will be coming over for the WPT Paris and the WSOP Europe.

An exchange thread might be very useful.

Thoughts?
Old 04-04-2007, 06:42 PM

When I win $US and need to convert them to $CDN, my dad just exchanges them at work. He originally posted that he was trading US for Canadian money at his work's buy/sell website, and through word of mouth, he can pretty much trade more money than I could realistically make. At his work, there are a lot of people who buy cars in Buffalo since they are like ~20-30% cheaper than here, so he can quite easily trade large amounts of money.

If you do win a very large amount of money, I think banks etc. would line up to convert it for you, and give you better offers. I seem to remember stevepa saying that he only paid like 1/3 the standard rate when converting from American to Canadian on his big win. For small wins, why not just keep the money in cash until you or someone you know goes back to Europe on vacation etc.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:09 PM

camel, i think an exchange thread would be incredibly useful. an even exchange would benefit all parties, except for the banks. i've been to europe a couple of times. i usually just use my check card or withdraw euros from atms to pay for stuff, but everytime i physically change my $$$ i cringe because i get a sub-optimal rate and have to pay fees on the amount exchanged. according to this months internet magazine a great portion of 2+2 traffic is non-us, so I think an exchange thread would be useful.

...i'm going back to europe this summer and plan on playing a lot of cards. if i win a couple thousand euros, i'll prob just spend it there. if i happen to make a big score, though, spending it in europe or flying back with a lot of cash doesn't seem feasible--- How did all you guys who went to Monte Carlo/PCA handle exchanging your currency? Does anyone know how ZeeJustin or WSOP2005 converted their winnings?
Old 04-04-2007, 09:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
camel, i think an exchange thread would be incredibly useful. an even exchange would benefit all parties, except for the banks. i've been to europe a couple of times. i usually just use my check card or withdraw euros from atms to pay for stuff, but everytime i physically change my $$$ i cringe because i get a sub-optimal rate and have to pay fees on the amount exchanged. according to this months internet magazine a great portion of 2+2 traffic is non-us, so I think an exchange thread would be useful.

...i'm going back to europe this summer and plan on playing a lot of cards. if i win a couple thousand euros, i'll prob just spend it there. if i happen to make a big score, though, spending it in europe or flying back with a lot of cash doesn't seem feasible--- How did all you guys who went to Monte Carlo/PCA handle exchanging your currency? Does anyone know how ZeeJustin or WSOP2005 converted their winnings?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are coming to England before the WSOP, I would definitely buy $$$ at the midpoint rate. I'm sure alot of European players would swap $$$ for Euros.

The rates banks offer are bordering on criminal.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:38 PM

someone wanna hook me some euros for ftp money/american dollars/big league chew?