Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Limit-->NL
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2007, 02:52 PM

Default General thoughts about NL , boredom, peak hours, tilt.

Here are a few thoughts I have about NL, if anyone wants to comment or elaborate on any similar experiences please do.

1) NL can be so boring compared to mixing it up every hand in SH limit. I find myself making a few mistakes here and there just by losing my concentration. 6 tables is still not keeping me busy.

2) Games seem to be WAY better in the afternoon and evening. You could say the same about limit but in NL the donators seem to come out in droves afrter 5pm. I would say 4pm-10pm pst is probably peak hours from what I can tell.

3) tilt can be so much more costly. I ran horrible yesterday and made 3 pretty big mistakes that cost me a few buys ins. In limit I usually make 3 mistakes before I even finish my cofee in the morning.

4) patience! you need so much patience. Sometimes, esp when the games are bad you are just waiting for someone to make a mistake and it can take forever.

Anyway, just my thoughts on the month so far.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:27 PM

Default Re: General thoughts about NL , boredom, peak hours, tilt.

play more tables at once. Stars is great for stacking them on top of each other, so it looks like you're only playing one.

This addresses boredom and to some extent tilt. The more tables you have, the more you're concentrating on decisions, not results.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:45 AM

i play really bad nl when drunk. i just think they never have anything and throw my money in. mebbe i play good.

oh ya, about nl being boring and all. i thought that for awhile, bc i had to play like a nit bc i didnt know anything, but now i think its cool that there are so many unique situations and ways to play a hand. limit had gotten to the point of being second nature after so many hands. mebbe after 500k hands of nl it will be boring and mechanical too.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:05 AM

Yes--I agree with you on the part about it being interesting and it def has my attention right now. I played about 4k hands today. I grinded all morning to a standstill---lost 2 buy ins in the afternoon and then won 8 in the evening. I think nightime NL is just unreal. I haven't tried playing drunk yet but I'm pretty sure it was cocktail hour wherever the guys I was playing were at.

[ QUOTE ]
i play really bad nl when drunk. i just think they never have anything and throw my money in. mebbe i play good.

oh ya, about nl being boring and all. i thought that for awhile, bc i had to play like a nit bc i didnt know anything, but now i think its cool that there are so many unique situations and ways to play a hand. limit had gotten to the point of being second nature after so many hands. mebbe after 500k hands of nl it will be boring and mechanical too.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-15-2007, 01:44 AM

on my site i like the games in the morning and early afternoon better. theres less games running but far less of the 8 tabling machines are holding court.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:57 AM

What site is that? I am playing on Bodog, crypto and some on Bugys's. I have heard the nl games on stars are good 3-6 and 5-10.
Old 09-15-2007, 02:31 AM

i think you know where i play. remember you sweated me there long ago at very low stakes.
Old 09-15-2007, 05:40 AM

Where I play (a small site) the games are better in the morning & early afternoon. Once 4pm hits loads of multitabling TAGs arrive and the games need a bit more selection. I don't really play in the evening but when I do it seems there is a real mix of players.

For some reason Saturdays are always terrible though, until the evening at least.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:24 AM

maybe I should swith sites for the AM. I'm surprised you guys seem to agree that games are good in the morning.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:46 AM

I expected them to be really tight too but lots of regulars dont turn up until like 11am and then a whole load more later in the afternoon.

I'm in Europe though so don't know if that makes any difference, playing on a non US site.