Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2007, 12:58 AM

Default AQ becomes multi-way all-in

Comments please.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP2 ($2.50)
CO ($5.63)
Button ($9.81)
SB ($11.15)
BB ($21.85)
UTG ($5.44)
UTG+1 ($2.42)
Hero ($6.02)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. MP2 posts a blind of $0.05.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $0.05, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.25</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls $0.20.

Flop: ($0.87) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets $2.17 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls $2.17, Button calls $2.17.

Turn: ($7.38) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3.6 (All-In)</font>, Button calls $3.60.

River: ($14.58) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $14.58
<font color="#009B00">Main Pot: $7.38, between Button, UTG+1 and Hero.</font>
<font color="#009B00">Pot 2: $7.20, between Button and Hero.</font>
Old 05-01-2007, 01:16 AM

Default Re: AQ becomes multi-way all-in

Reads?
Old 05-01-2007, 01:53 AM

A read on UTG+1 is almost nececary here. If he is the standard NL5 player he willl not push a set or two pair and you can call.
If he is on the other hand the type of player that thinks that nobody will think he has something because he pushes (like the ones that openpush AA preflop fi) you can fold and wait for a better spot.

There are more players from the first kind than the second so I'll say well played on flop and turn against the average 5NL player.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:14 AM

If we decide to call UTG+1, wouldn't it be better just to raise the Flop to put pressure on BTN?
Old 05-01-2007, 02:24 AM

Thats what I usually do in this situation but at 5NL I think it's not really bad to call this in stead of raising again.
Its possible he sticks around with a number of weak hands because he thinks we are drawing and UTG is bluffing.
I think we might push hands out of the pot that we beat on the flop if we raise again.

I doubt he will even fold a flushdraw on the turn because that's how I remember 5NL players.
(it's been a while since I played that limit so maybe I'm overestimating the odds he sticks around with top pair here but from what I remember, aces are hard to fold preflop for most players and even harder postflop if they make top pair)
Old 05-01-2007, 03:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Reads?

[/ QUOTE ]

The table is loose and aggressive pre-flop. Most pots are raised pre-flop, but most of the raises are min-raises, 2xBB, so there are often several callers. After the flop the table becomes quite weak and most players fold to a c-bet from the initial pre-flop raiser. Lots of hands play check-check after the flop, with people showing down middle pair for the win.

No real standouts, although Button seems to be a solid, bold player and has re-raised my c-bets more than once. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

When UTG+1 went all-in on the flop, I put him on ace-little rather than a draw - A good hand, in his mind probably the best hand at the moment, but one that can't really take any heat. Thus, the all-in. I figured I could call the all-in and Button would fold.

When Button called, was surprised but not heartbroken. If UTG+1 &amp; I both had an ace, and there was an ace on the board, then there was no way Button could have pocket aces. I put him on another ace-big, and only AK was bigger than my ace-big.

When the T fell on the turn then, if my reasoning so far was right, that gave everybody in the hand aces &amp; tens. With my Q kicker, then the only hands that could possibly beat me were AK &amp; AT - AA, TT &amp; 88, I decided, were all too unlikely. I went all-in and hoped for a call from Button.

Is my reasoning through the hand unsound at any point?

[ QUOTE ]
If we decide to call UTG+1, wouldn't it be better just to raise the Flop to put pressure on BTN?

[/ QUOTE ]

I probably should have played it that way. I honestly didn't think Button would overcall, and was shocked when he did.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:13 PM

I would love to know if anyone finds flaws in my reasoning through this hand.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is my reasoning through the hand unsound at any point?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with your reasoning. UTG+1 is likely holding A with any possible kickers beside T and 8. The fact that BTN overcall the Flop means that he prob doesn't hold TT or 88. He's either on Ax or flush draw. With that turn card, I would shove on the Turn as well. If he holds Tx and made that Flop overcall, I make a note on him.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:10 AM

Looks to me like a flush draw.