Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 10:54 AM

Default Fluctuations

Hi there, was wondering if anyone could help me out in this

Ive been playing ring games NL50c/$1 for the past 8-10mths about 2 hours daily over at Pacific Poker. Problem is my results have been fluctuating like crazy. Usually what happens is that i have 2-3 days of consistent wins and i lose it all within the next day or two.

its pretty frustrating considering that in the last few mths my bankroll has not gone up or down. Its constant at aroud $500.

ive just finished reading inside the poker mind and one reason why my results is like this could be because once i start winning i get too cocky and think playing more recklessly thinking that im better which causes me to play below sub standard.

help would be really appreciated guys [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2007, 10:59 AM

Default Re: Fluctuations

Your assesment is possible. Do you get cocky and start spewing after a heater? If so, and you realize that, stop.

Otherwise, it's possible that you're legitimately a break-even player, and this is just variance keeping you where your skill says you should be.

If you could post some PT stats or some hands, we could help try and find some leaks in your game, and try and plug 'em!

BTW is this LHE or NL?
Old 10-17-2007, 11:09 AM

I have poker office, how do i go about taking out the stats from there and putting it here?

I play NL

thanks alot guys, real appreciated
Old 10-17-2007, 11:14 AM

I've never used poker office, but this is how we do it with poker tracker. It will be the same method basically, the only difference will be the screen of which you are taking a screenshot:

1. Pull up the page with a nice stats summary. Should include things like VPIP, PFR%, winrate, etc.
2. Take a screenshot. I'm not sure how you do this on a PC, I'm a mac user, but it has something to do with the "print screen" key. What this does is just captures an image of whatever is on your screen at the moment.
3. Save the image to an online file host, such as photobucket(If you dont have an account, it takes literally 2 minutes to sign up and get it running)
4. Post the image to 2+2.

You can follow this process for any stats screen you want. Positional stats often help us find leaks, as well.

Alternatively, you can try just typing out the stats as they appear, but if you can do the above it is usually for the best.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:32 AM

I was actually thinking of getting a mac, but the limitations of playing poker on it stopped me. Where are you playing?
Old 10-17-2007, 11:57 AM

There is Mac support @ FullTilt, pokerroom, party, absolute+UB. I personally play Fulltilt and Party, as well as Pokerstars via Bootcamp.

If you don't know about Bootcamp... It's a program that allows you to install windows on your mac, and do anything you would be able to do on a PC. Great stuff.

Re: Your stats.

You are definitely playing too loose/passive. Seeing 40% of all flops is nuts. If this is 6max you want that to be around 20-25%, if it's fullring you want that to be even lower. Also, your PFR% is WAY too low. Essentially what you're doing right now is calling a lot and hoping for the best.

Ideally, at 20-25% saw flop%, you want to be raising somewhere between 14-19% of your hands. Tighten up, don't play bogus cards, and show some aggression. If you cut back on your range, you have every reason to start betting some hands preflop- it'll not only give you more value on your good hands, it will also

a) Advertise that you are somewhat in control of the table's action,
b) Allow you to steal bigger pots on the flop,
c) Allow you to win bigger pots when you hit.

Which brings me to position. Stop playing so many hands from the small blind! Completing the small blind with crap cards is a huge leak, as not only will the BB usually reraise you when you do this, usually your hand won't hit. You are giving up a ton of money from the looks of it by playing from the SB too much.

Keep in mind that it's always best to be in late position. Meaning, it's best to be last to act. The Button is the best position to be in at the table, and the SB is the worst. When you play hands in late position, everybody acts before you do- allowing you to evaluate their betting before making a decision, and allowing you to essentially control the pot as you please. As such, you should be playing (raising) a lot of unopened pots from the button with a wider range of hands than you would from the SB.

Also plz notice that in your hand summary, it shows that you are winning @ a more consistent rate when you are raising.

Aggression=good.

This is a pretty basic analysis but it will serve as a good starting point. I'm sure someone else will be along shortly to chime in as well.

GL!
Old 10-17-2007, 07:35 PM

thanks alot for the analysis! will ponder upon it for the moment (:
Old 10-18-2007, 06:26 AM

one gripe i have with betting too aggressively (only in relation to pacific poker which is fishier compared to other sites) is that there are alot of callers.

its abit of a two edged sword cause sometimes they are calling with nothing, and sometimes they're too passive that they're calling with double pair.

So at times i dont know when to bet or to just keep the pot small