Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2007, 12:26 AM

Default biggest mistake you see 2/4 NL people making?

Just curious what some of you feel is the biggest mistakes you see losing players make at 2/4 NL ? I've made a few shots up at it but overall have dropped about 5-6 buyins at that level. I learned a lot and feel I might get it next time I move up but I'm wondering what you think it is ? People overvaluing overpairs and not folding them ? This I think has been one of my problems. Another is it seems a lot of people limp in it. And so many times they might limp behind someone else who has limped with a big hand, that has also got in my head and then I become concerned every time i raise someone who has limped when I have 99 or 1010 etc. Your thoughts on it ?
Old 01-29-2007, 12:30 AM

Default Re: biggest mistake you see 2/4 NL people making?

[ QUOTE ]
And so many times they might limp behind someone else who has limped with a big hand, that has also got in my head and then I become concerned every time i raise someone who has limped when I have 99 or 1010 etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've only played a few thousand hands at 2/4NL but I think that you are seeing monsters under the bed here. People who open limp are generally weak players. If someone limped behind you with a big hand then you are likely to hear from them in time enough to avoid losing too much with 55-TT.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:33 AM

some of them fold too much, some of them call too much, some of them raise too much, some of them dont bluff enough, some of them bluff too much, some of them play too many hands, some dont play enough, some of them only push with draws, some of them never push with draws, some of them float too much, some dont float much at all.

i think you get the point.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:35 AM

what's the strategy overall do you think ? The best one I mean, playing straight forward TAG ... something like 24/15/2-3 or something ? I used to like to switch it up at 1/2 NL by limping/raising/reraising but it didn't seem to work to much at 2/4 NL.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:36 AM

call too light preflop, call the flop with no idea about what they're going to do.

They never seem to have plans.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just curious what some of you feel is the biggest mistakes you see losing players make at 2/4 NL ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Playing too many hands pre flop.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:41 AM

I guess I'm just somewhat frustrated from the last time I played 2/4 NL. I was playing a 39/17/2 guy and I raised to 20 PF and he called in the SB with 45o ... I had 1010. Flop came down 443, he check raised me on the flop, and then check raised me all in on the turn which I called. He had been doing that quiet a bit to a few people so I didn't think there was anyway I could put him on that type of hand. Guess I'll just have to keep plugging away before I get it. BTW, what's the difference between 2/4 and 3/6 NL ? The competition much better at 3/6 ?
Old 01-29-2007, 02:08 AM

Tornado,

Play like a nit at 2/4nl. Make hands and then value bet them. It's really that simple at 2/4nl. The biggest mistake is that they call too much. As someone else said, "their propensity to make big laydowns is completely nonexistent." Therefore you should bluff less and vb more.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tornado,

Play like a nit at 2/4nl. Make hands and then value bet them. It's really that simple at 2/4nl.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bluffing can be VERY profitable at this level because so few players can read hands well and then have the balls to follow through on their read.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:15 AM

Limping is almost always a sign of weakness. I would not be worried about that.