Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 05:07 PM

Default HAY BBV4L MODS: 9/11 Thread

Since there's some discussion about the issue, let's talk about it here.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:11 PM

Default Re: HAY BBV4L MODS: 9/11 Thread

I agree with you in theory, but I think the thread is close to imploding with those lost loved ones being offended and then getting flamed and then responding to the flaming, etc. etc.

As a compromise maybe we lock it first thing tomorrow morning since the 'birthday' will be over.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with you in theory, but I think the thread is close to imploding with those lost loved ones being offended and then getting flamed and then responding to the flaming, etc. etc.

As a compromise maybe we lock it first thing tomorrow morning since the 'birthday' will be over.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was this what you were responding to the PM with?

Well, here's what I wrote since I didn't forward it to dids yet:

Well, I was going to sleep for a bit and was going to reevaluate when I woke up in a few hours, but if you want to go ahead and lock it before that you definitely have a good reason to do so. I know there were a few offensive pics that were removed by the posters and the ones left up were deemed offensive as well, but fwiw the OP, limesparks, was not looking to offend anybody or trivialize anything. Almost everybody seems to have missed his point.

I trust your judgment so you have my backing in whatever you choose to do with it.

Edited to add: Limesparks didn't post any of the pictures that seemed to set things in motion.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:15 PM

see my thoughts in the atf thread

also, the guy who photoshopped someone actually falling should be tempbanned/pics deleted (I reported it)

if you don't remove those two pics quickly, it should be locked/moved to mod forum
Old 09-11-2007, 05:16 PM

I was kinda, sorta personally affected by 9/11 enough that I don't trust myself to be impartial around those threads, so I've stayed out of it.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:18 PM

CC,

I agree that the OP did not intend for thread to spiral, but he is pretty naive to act surprised that it did. I just think that it has run its course and all that is left is for people to either complain or defend. Neither is very entertaining IMO.

I'm not a big fan of locking things in general, but I really have to stretch to think of anything mildly entertaining or edifying coming from that thread.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It might seem otherwise but I have no vested interest in the thread and if you feel the implosion is imminent, go with your gut.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:19 PM

6 years ago today, I was athlete of the week at St. Rose!
Old 09-11-2007, 05:21 PM

Gildwulf,

You realize he was playing on the email urban legend (that was prevalent right after 9/11) of rescue workers who survived by 'surfing' down the collapsing building, right? I'm not defending it it as funny or proper, but I am not sure how offensive it really is.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:22 PM

My somewhat cold hearted feelings:

It's not our job as mods to keep people's feelings from being hurt.

If the thread totally spirals out of control into insults and flaming, then it should be locked, but not before.

I don't think pictures of the real victims are worthy of a ban for the reasons I explained in ATF. I don't think it's our job to legislate taste. I might agree to delete the pictures, but I think a ban is pushing it.

I wish everybody would take adanthar's position. Like I said in BBV4L, you can't expect the forum to behave in a sensitive manner.

I'm not terribly comfortable being the final word on this, since I'm just not as effected by this stuff and probably not a good person to set those kinds of standards.