Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2007, 11:08 AM

Default 25NL and 10NL - Donk Bets

In the last week or two I have been noticing A LOT of players making donk bets. It's not jsut against me but on many tables.

Whether there is an open raise and get one caller or raised extra for each limper and get one caller. The caller will donk bet the flop and I've seen it happen on a low flop, broadway, paired, connected boards.

Originally my thought was with overs I would often give up thinking, "he saved me a cbet" or "he must have something". I didn't think this was a major leak as it was VERY rare when it happened.

But lately it is happening often. When raised I've seen the donk betters show sets, TP, 2P or draws and air, basically a huge range.

I know that this mostly depends on the opponent and the situation but I'm wondering has anyone else noticed this trend? And what do you do if someone donk bets into you and you have overs, OP, strong or weak hand?
Old 10-09-2007, 11:32 AM

Default Re: 25NL and 10NL - Donk Bets

I think it's VERY player-dependent. Some people do this habitually and others will only do it if they have a monster. The min-donk bet is the one I see most and I agree that it's tough to play against without reads.

I like raising these bets on the flop to get info (as to whether or not a player will fold if their donk bet gets raised) and I'll do this with either air or a nice hand. With a draw (depending on the size of the donk bet) I might just call and see if I can hit the draw. Some people think they're slick by making small luring donk bets, but if you're getting odds to chase, why not do it? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-09-2007, 11:39 AM

Eric Lynch wrote about this sort of donk bet a while back.

http://www.cardplayer.com/author/article/all/246/8846
Old 10-09-2007, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's VERY player-dependent. Some people do this habitually and others will only do it if they have a monster. The min-donk bet is the one I see most and I agree that it's tough to play against without reads.

I like raising these bets on the flop to get info (as to whether or not a player will fold if their donk bet gets raised) and I'll do this with either air or a nice hand. With a draw (depending on the size of the donk bet) I might just call and see if I can hit the draw. Some people think they're slick by making small luring donk bets, but if you're getting odds to chase, why not do it? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree as it's player dependent, but do you agree that it's becoming more common?

The minbet is something that I ignore and autoraise it. I find that a high percentage of the time they fold, as if they only made it to see if you have the check/fold box selected. Sometimes it's their way of angle shooting and reraise, but often they call and c/f the turn.

I agree about the call sometimes. There's nothing better than making your monster and stacking the player.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Eric Lynch wrote about this sort of donk bet a while back.

http://www.cardplayer.com/author/article/all/246/8846

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the link
Old 10-09-2007, 12:12 PM

I've only been at 25NL for a month, so I can't really say if it's a growing trend or not. I've seen the donk/reraise too and it's almost always been a monster.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:08 PM

This sounds donkish and weakish little bit but recently I start using the following strategy: "I never-ever fight against donk bets if I dont have reads or made hand"

For example, UTG, MP1 limped, I have AQ and I raise. They both call and flop is KT4, two clubs. UTG bets half of the pot/or less or any amount. MP1 fold and If UTG is new face for me I would fold without hand.

If the face is regular I start collecting information about his donk bets and I start investing some money. I would raise him, if he call and check, I would check and try to get very weak showdown. If he shows draw, he folds etc And then I make similar notes: "DonkBet = Draw/Air, Raise and he fold", "DonkBet+Call&TurnCheck = Draw", "DonkBet+Raise= Monster", "DonkBet+RaiseToAllin= TopPair" etc. Its very important and next time I know how to exploit it and I will get back of my investments.

But its important to fight against regulars because if the face is unknown and I collect this same information about him and next day he wont play anymore. Then the money and time is wasted.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:03 PM

i remember gus hansen once saying that altho most players hate to be OOP, he likes it as it gives him the first opportunity before any1 else to fire in a bet and take down the pot uncontested. He donk bets to the max!
Old 10-09-2007, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i remember gus hansen once saying that altho most players hate to be OOP, he likes it as it gives him the first opportunity before any1 else to fire in a bet and take down the pot uncontested. He donk bets to the max!

[/ QUOTE ]

I like to be oop against weak-tight players.