Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2007, 09:18 PM

Default BR Question

Absolute Poker lets you buy in with 200 big blinds. How does this impact bankroll concerns, I think most people talk about needing 20-25 buyins at SSNL but usually the buyin is 100 big blinds. Obviously both the blinds and the buyin play a role.

Is there any good rule of thumb for this?

Currently I have 1700$ and have been 4 tabling .25/.5 NL, would it be reasonable to start taking shots at .5/1 NL? What would be considered being fully rolled for .5/1 NL?
Old 07-26-2007, 09:30 PM

Default Re: BR Question

In before you get flamed

I've found that with my style of play( I run 23/18), that I like to have at a min 8 buy ins for every table that I play.

While this may seem nitty, all it takes is a bad run of cards, and your bankroll can take a huge hit. Take a look at CTS's well post in the Master Sticky, I think he addresses bankroll concerns there.

That being said, that doesn't mean that you can't take some shots at .50/1, when you see a couple of fish playing. You just have to have the discipline to drop back down and not chase losses if you lose a couple of buyins.

Plus this gives you a chance to get used to any differences that a higher level of play may have.

As for the difference with Absolute, I guess it comes down to how often you buy in for the max amount, and what the norm is there. If most people buy in deep, then you are going to want to have more money in your bankroll so you can do the same thing. However if it is anything like FTP, there are a ton of shortstackers, and you may want to buy in for only 100BBs, unless you are playing with a bunch of other 200bb stacks.

Hope it answered some of your questions, and GL
Old 07-26-2007, 09:44 PM

I worked my way up from 25NL to 200 at AP and I just used 20bi's for each level (100 big blind buyins that is) until 1/2 when I decided to use 30.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:52 PM

thanks a lot guys, very helpful
Old 07-26-2007, 10:29 PM

If you're buying in for 200bb, I would say you need to have at least $3,000 before you start playing $.50/$1.00.

I have played about 200k hands of ssnl, and have had only two downswings over 15 buyins. (15 and 19)