Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2006, 08:37 PM

Default Making a Lively Table

OK, we've had a "cliche" post and a "live tells" post ...

Reading through these and some others got me to thinking ...

What do you guys do to make a table fun?

You've got a couple of curmudgeons at the table and a whiner or two, what do you do to encourage people have a good time?
Or do you even care?

My contribution: Institute a Karma tax!

I can't take credit for this one but picked up the idea from a dealer at the Belagio who sat down and played. She had this "deal" with a guy down at the end of the table, if you win a pot, you "tip" the person you have a deal with a portion of the pot to keep the good Karma going. Her's was a variable tip based on the size of the pot.

So there I am sitting at the table at the Flamingo only to see a bunch of sour faces and 4 real rocks. So I took the idea and ran with it. (Sidenote: you better have a cool dealer and explain it to him, because they generally frown on chips being passed between players) So I win a pot and announce to the table, "I am instituting a Karma tax. It is completely voluntary, no pressure, you decide ... but if you buy into this idea when you win a pot you tip the dealer and tip another player at the table to keep the good karma flowing. I generally, pick just one person at the table to exchage the karma tax with, but I think in this case, that I will try and pass off the good karma to the person that needs to win a pot. And you sir, haven't won a pot in the past hour, so here you go!" The guys two spots to my left was completely shocked as I passed on a single $1 chip. He was one of the sour pusses becuase, well, he hadn't won a pot in a long time. Lo and behold, he won the very next pot, and tipped a player down at the end of the table who likewise hadn't won in a long time. I won the next pot and tipped the same player down at the end of the table and he won the next pot and tipped me. It's a long story of how we won everyone over and I won't get into it here except that in the end as I left the table several guys got up to shake my hand and say that they have never had so much fun.

So what do you do ... share your story.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:41 PM

Default Re: Making a Lively Table

Certainly sounds like a good way to get some chips flowing. When I sit down on a really tight table, I typically try to do something like add 10 or 20 to a few hands in a row to get some action going. Then we start starting and voila, I've got a great table.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:52 PM

if you have one or two people on your right that are there to have a good time, agree to straddle if they do to. then the 3rd of 4th guy in line feels obligated to do it, once it starts and you have a few others incoraging it it kinda starts a wave. no one wants to be the pussy that doesn't do it.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:25 PM

Absolutely gangster. Something I try is "You're small blind, you're big blind, you're turn to straddle!"
Old 02-22-2006, 10:40 PM

There's an old post back in the archives somewhere at small stakes (I think) that explains "how to straddle". It is a must read if you can find it. It's priceless. The best part of the post is when the dealer (completely straightfaced) starts getting the next hand organized - "your small blind sir, your big blind sir, your straddle sir"! It's great stuff. Sorry I don't have the link.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:11 PM

Playing 5-150 last night at about 2 am and the table has all but died down. Theres 6 of us sitting there, all are deep stacked except for one kid whos in the 6 seat, hes still sitting good at about 700. We institute small blind, big blind, straddle of 10, and then a straddle of the straddle at 20. Got some action going and the table was having fun. Anything to make a game more interesting at 2 am.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:53 PM

Just straddle, repot in the dark.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's great stuff. Sorry I don't have the link.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think this
is it
Old 02-23-2006, 12:53 PM

Thats the one! Thanks fm.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you guys do to make a table fun?

[/ QUOTE ]

I like to get drunk and act like a jackass. Actually, I've only done this once, but it was at the Flamingo 2/4 this past weekend.

I'm not sure how fun it was for everyone else, but it was a blast for me.

-McGee