Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2006, 05:31 AM

Default $11 preflop raisng

Are these opening raises too loose at this level.

These are from Harringtons book 1. At a full table. MP4 A9s A8s 50/50 RAISE/CALL MP5 A9 A8 70/30 QJs MP4 50/50
MP3/4 KJs KJ 50/50

I am asking because I raise alot tighter than this and I am wondering if I am losing or gaining vs this system. I guess the more people are calling you the less of these you want to raise because most of the time you miss the flop and could well be out of position.

If you play higher as well I'd be interested to know your raising ranges and your reasoning behind them and I play $22 as well so this may help with the tighter games.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:42 AM

Default Re: $11 preflop raisng

You are most likely doing just fine, Harringtons book is for MTTs and in a STT chip conservation for the pushbot stage is more important (which again comes from payout structure considerations and blah blah blah)
Old 10-17-2006, 05:51 AM

There are quite alot of examples in his book for STTs as well so I'm not sure these ranges are just for MTTs. But I agree with the chip conservation point and if my opponents are calling with wider ranges behind me then I lose the fold value of these raises.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:59 AM

The general opinion is, that Harringtons sng examples are either very trivial or wrong, so ... (This has been discussed many times before, I actually think that it was even mentioned yesterday)

If you want to beat sngs, then play tight early and learn ICM for late game pushbotting, it is as simple as that (Get either sngpt or sngwiz if you haven't already)
Old 10-17-2006, 07:47 AM

You're talking about open raising, not raising after someone else have limped? These hands are too weak to raise with in most spots. But, in some situations, if the blinds are big enough and the table are still full (this doesn't happen that often, put it may sometimes) and you have a really big stack so you can bully around a bit, or a really small stack so you're desperate for some chips, some of these hands may be pushing hands. But default answer: open fold all in early stages.

And as Gelford said: Harringtons book isn't that great for SNGs.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:15 AM

Thanks for the reply. Are there any books you can recommend?
Old 10-17-2006, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no books do a really good job w/SNGs. hang around here for a while, pay attention to which posters get it. read their posts, repeat. (hint, its not me) search the forum for their wisdom, read the archives for building block type stuff.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no books do a really good job w/SNGs. hang around here for a while, pay attention to which posters get it. read their posts, repeat. (hint, its not me) search the forum for their wisdom, read the archives for building block type stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

also, i dont have links at the moment, but sheets' series on SNGs that he wrote articles on is pretty good...look for articles people have written, use the search function, stick around here, youll be good to go.