Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2006, 04:09 PM

Default Film Review: Formula 51 / 51st State (3/5)

Formula 51 aka the 51st State

This is a cool little British gangster movie, lit up some by the likes of Samuel L. Jackson, Robert Carlyle (the fabulous Begbie from Transpotting) and the always cool Rhys Ifans (who played the dodgy flatmate of Hugh Grant in notting Hill, if that helps). Oh and the very attractive Emily Mortimer too, as a professional hit-woman! It was directed by Ronnie Yu, who made the horror-fun movie 'Bride of chucky', which is well worth a look if you are a horror afficianado. He was also the director that got 'Snakes on a Plane' off the ground (forgive the pun) and got Samuel L. Jackson involved in that project, but unfortuantely Yu jumped ship (IMHO, SOAP would have been a far better film with Yu at the controls).

The plot is simple - Jackson (called Elmo) is a chemist who has come up with the ultimate drug...it gives the ultimate high, and can be synthesised from easily available, legal substances (like Aspirin). He comes to Liverpool to sell the formula, and Robert Carlyle (as Felix) is given the job to look after him (cue amusing English-American antagonism). The story involves the various shenanegins and other characters these two come up against, and is a lot of fun. Jackson swishes about in a full kilt, and looks very cool with it. Along the way, they encounter dodgy arms/drug dealers in the shape of Iki (Rhys Ifans giving a great turn as a manic Scouser arms/drug baron), a gang of skinheads who make the mistake of tackling Jackson, gangster bosses troubled with haemorrhoids, get a few fun language issues discussed, and deal with a dodgy copper or two (there's even some football hooligans thrown in). A fair bit of the amusement arises from the weird characters that Jackson encounters and how phased he is by these English weirdos (ie not one iota).

Okay, it's a little weak in places, and the logic behind the plot-device of the superdrug unravels badly at the end, but it's fun and if you want a good b-movie with Jackson, either this of 'Deep Blue Sea' are better options than the recent 'Snakes on a Plane'. If you liked Guy Ritchie's 'Lock Stock' or 'Snatch', you will enjoy this one as well (it isn't as good as them, but it has a similar vibe in places). Kudos also for being a British gangster movie not set in London. It also has some pretty good music, if you like rave-type stuff.

I have in the past equated movies to food; some are sumptuous feasts, some are plain and simple junk food. Well, chaps and gals, this is one great big tasty burger, and that's all it is!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Elmo: Look, if I wanted cuisine, I'd have gone to Paris, all right?
Felix: You can still go to France, mate, it's not too far, it's full of [censored] and they hate [censored] yanks as well!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Felix's Mother: Well, [censored] in a bag and punch it!
Elmo: What the [censored] did they do to this fish? Batter it to death?
Felix: Fish and chips, national dish mate.
Elmo: More like a national disaster!

Felix: I couldn't take America. It's like [censored]' Albania in neon.
Felix: Look, I'm dyin' for a smoke. You haven't any ciggies, have ya?
Pharmacist: Sorry. Cigarettes are bad for your health.
Felix: Yeah. So's a [censored] PUNCH TO THE THROAT, MATE! I need [censored] nicotine now!
Pharmacist: There's no reason to shout at me. I'm Pakistani, not deaf.
Elmo: So, let me get this straight. "Bollocks" is bad, whereas "the dogs bollocks" is good, huh?
Felix: Yeah.
[Felix sees a copper's car]
Felix: Oh, Bollocks!

Overall, a good, fun, trashy B-movie that involves Samuel L. Jackson in a kilt, carrying golf clubs, giving Brits a hard time.

OVERALL: 3

REWATCHABILITY: Once every year; older teens up.

RATINGS (out of 5):
0 - This is a complete waste of time, and you will regret wasting it
1 - don't bother unless no other options at all
2 - okay for a single watch, if you've got time
3 - Definite watch if you get a chance
4 - See it very soon, at least once before you die
5 - See it immediately, no excuses