Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2007, 05:35 AM

Default agressive enough or too much.

no real read on table, just that it seems pretty passive and a little loose. just sat down a couple hands ago.

PokerStars 0.10/0.20 Hold'em (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG :#A500AF(villian)/ calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">8 folds</font>, UTG :#A500AF(villian)/ calls.

Flop: (5.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
villian checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, villian calls.

Turn: (3.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
villian checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, villian calls.

River: (5.75 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
villian checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">villian raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, villian calls.

Final Pot: 11.75 BB
Old 09-12-2007, 05:39 AM

Default Re: agressive enough or too much.

What range do u put villain on when he CR the river?
Old 09-12-2007, 05:50 AM

like i said, i didn't have much of a read. but he tended to play too many hands, but not that aggressively.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:58 AM

just call the river CR. You only have TPTK on a high card board and in the nanos people dont CR big streets on a bluff.

[ QUOTE ]
like i said, i didn't have much of a read. but he tended to play too many hands, but not that aggressively

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm, thats the making of a read...a read that tells you you are beat on the river. He probably has 2pr or a set and only called the 3 bet because he figures you for the nut str8 or trip Aces.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:11 AM

if he is on a pure bluff he is not going to call your 3-bet
Old 09-12-2007, 06:13 AM

heh. a read without knowing it. i should pay more attention. thanks. that was my gut instinct, but i tend to be over passive. i appreciate the feedback. btw, without posting results, you read the hand right, and i lost a bet i shouldn't have. maybe i am learning a little...naw, gotta keep posting. thanks again.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:07 AM

I play the hand exactly the same way as you until the river. I don't like the check-raise, as it usually signals that he has top pair beat. I just call.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
like i said, i didn't have much of a read. but he tended to play too many hands, but not that aggressively.

[/ QUOTE ]

U don't need so much reads for this. Put him on a reasonable range. if u don't want to make a guess, put him on the hands u will have on the river after the CR. Then perhaps make it a little looser. How does ur AK do agaisnt that range?
Old 09-12-2007, 08:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

U don't need so much reads for this. Put him on a reasonable range. if u don't want to make a guess, put him on the hands u will have on the river after the CR. Then perhaps make it a little looser. How does ur AK do agaisnt that range?

[/ QUOTE ]

I want to strees that this is not a pointless exercise. This is excactly the way u should think about these problems. The only reason to raise AK here is to get value from lesser hands since u will never bluff out a better hand. So is there value?

U should think like this:

1) Put ur opp on a range of hands. This is not an excact science at all, but a reasonable assumption i a lot, lot better than just guessing. With some experience u will improve.

2) Estimate how ur hand do agaisnt that range. U need at least 50% equity to even consider raising. But since u can get capped u need even more. This is also difficult in the heat of the battle. If u feel uncertain go back and analyze after the sesion using Poker Stove. With experience you will develop a 'feel' for it.

Try this on the hand u played. Remember u don't need to do it anywhere near perfect before this type of analysis becomes superior to guessing.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:07 AM

Sushi is right. ranges are important. Its easy to read his post and go 'oh yeah' but you (OP/noobs/lurkers etc) will learn more if you actually do it...bonus points awarded for posting them [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. You wont get it right all the time but the more you practice it gets easier.

youll learn alot if, whenever you post, you try and talk about hand ranges...veterans often wont post ranges because to them it might be seemingly obvious but if you arent sure then just say what you think.