Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: over 400k?
yes 15 6.55%
no 214 93.45%
Voters: 229. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-12-2007, 12:11 AM

Default Showing Hole Cards = Douchebag?

I was recently called a douchebag for showing my hole cards facing an all-in raise (2x the size of the pot), and asking the raiser if he had me beat. Specifically, in this situation, I had AA, and was re-raised on a 569r board. I got a tell on the guy and made a good laydown (he showed me 55).

So, is this being a douchebag? Why or why not?
Old 04-12-2007, 12:15 AM

Default Re: Showing Hole Cards = Douchebag?

Assuming you were heads up at the time there is nothing wrong with this (though doing it frequently is just wasting people's time)
Old 04-12-2007, 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I usually only take a few seconds to act on my hand, pre-flop. Post-flop it's either a 3s fold, or a 5-15s fold/call/raise.

One game I was playing in went like this. I bet $10 in EP w/ AA. 3 callers. Flop is 569 rainbow. BB bets $25. I raise to $75. 2 folds. BB thinks for 15 seconds, then re-raises all-in (we both have about $160 left in chips). I think for 15s, start asking him some questions; I've never played with him before. I flip up my cards after about 20s more -- so the table knows I have a good hand, and to try to get a read on the BB. 3s after I show my AA and start asking the BB if he has me beat, a lady calls for the clock. I make a slightly pissed-off comment about this being a big decision. I took the entire 1 minute, and then folded. BB showed 55.

EDIT: I then tipped the dealer a $1 -- which I think is only fair since I took an extra 2 minutes of tip time from her. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I guess the lady who called the clock is probably a big donkey and would insta-call in my position, so she had no idea why I would be taking so long to think about this. As it was, the extra time did give me a chance to pick up a slowed breathing rate & calm demeanor 30s or so after I showed the guy my AA, so I figured he had me beat.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is hugely douchebaggish behavior and I really wish all the fools doing this would stop. Please cut back on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Explain??

[/ QUOTE ]
The delays, the asking questions, the exposing your hand, even the lame toke afterward - it's all douchebaggery at its finest.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-12-2007, 12:17 AM

I don't know if it is or it's not. However, when I picture someone doing it, inevitably I picture one of the young spec-ops commandos (hoodie, sunglasses, cap, mean stare, the works). I always assume those guys are douchebags until proven otherwise.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Explain??

[/ QUOTE ]
The delays, the asking questions, the exposing your hand, even the lame toke afterward - it's all douchebaggery at its finest.

[/ QUOTE ]

The lame toke afterward?!?! Funny. I know not to take you seriously now.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if it is or it's not. However, when I picture someone doing it, inevitably I picture one of the young spec-ops commandos (hoodie, sunglasses, cap, mean stare, the works). I always assume those guys are douchebags until proven otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate stare downs. Really... what is that accomplishing. But, asking a few questions, even ¨if I fold, will you show me your cards¨ ... just trying to get some sort of read on this guy I just sat down with. To me, this was a big decision, and I needed all the help I could get. I was nice about the whole thing, and thanked him for showing me what he had. Nobody seemed offended, and even the lady who called for the clock apologized. I got several ¨awesome laydown¨s for it afterward.

As for the ¨douchebag¨ thing, I think people inclined to being douchebags just easily see that in other people.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Explain??

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The lame toke afterward?!?! Funny. I know not to take you seriously now.

[/ QUOTE ]

The toke afterwards may be lame but it's very far from douchebaggery. It's ultra-good sportsmanship and I don't think I'd have it in me to do it myself.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:38 AM

I love the "I got a tell on his breathing" bit here lol... I deal with behavior like the OP's by not looking at the person, their cards or anything. I won't respond to questions. I'll sit and quietly reflect on the age of the universe - sometimes I forget I'm in a poker game - get a tell off that.

I'll tend to do this whenever I make any significant bet, bluff or not. I enjoy thinking about the age of the universe, what can I say. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

What was his cholesterol at the time he shoved?
Old 04-12-2007, 09:25 AM

By showing your AA aren't you concerned that you gave off too much information about your own style? That you are willing to laydown a big hand? I think you may have lost as much as you gained. The other players at the table now know they fcan come after you and you have the ability to lay down a big hand. I have always thought that it is better to run a bluff of a good player than a bad player.

ThreeBeers
Old 04-12-2007, 09:30 AM

Default THE POSSIBILITIES ARE INFINITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got my read on this guy when he made an all in raise on that flop.

Either he had a set, a straight, or two pair of 5's and 6's. Bad flop for those AA bad boys.

Of course one of those those sunglass hoodlums could have made the all in raise on anything.