Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2007, 07:50 AM

Default 3 bet, fold to a cap?

3/6 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, BB checks.

Ok, I know, it looks like I limp all my good hands now, but that's really coincedence. I think it was a mistake anyhow. However, in a short time at this table I have raised aces twice and kings once and all were folded around. I was not going to win just the blinds on my 4th monster in a row. But I do think it was stupid from MP2. Oh well, it's a given fact now.

Flop: (2.33 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (2.16 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, Hero calls.

Ahhh...the famous c/c flop c/r turn. This is virtually always a monster. I have no idea why they hate money, but if they have a big hand, that's how they slowplay it. So I suspected a 7. Anyway, I figured it might be AJ or something, so I 3-bet. I wanted to fold to a cap, but of course I couldn't when it happened. Clear fold here?

River: (10.16 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12.16 BB
Old 01-11-2007, 08:01 AM

Default Re: 3 bet, fold to a cap?

I hate to say it, but I think folding to a cap might be your best play here.

The pot isn't really that big, since you only limped PF and no one else called. I think you only have 2 outs here, unless your opponent is nutzo, which I don't think is the case.

I like your 3-bet, since he could be getting cute with a flush draw or a J, both of which of those will probably just call you down, which is what you would like. However when he caps, I think there's an overwhelming chance he has a 7.

The only downside is people might start trying to push you around a little bit more, but I think this particular scenario is rare enough that people aren't going to start capping against you with air without you punishing them in the future.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:05 AM

preflop is ok if as you say it is a really tight table and you are not getting paid off with a decent hand, but obviously this play should be made rarely.

i would be inclined to call the c/r on the turn and call the river.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:06 AM

Also, why are your games so bad that you've resorted to limping with KK and AA preflop? This is unacceptable IMO. We need to petition to have the fish come back online. I miss the days where I would play at tables with 10 BB pot sizes on average.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, why are your games so bad that you've resorted to limping with KK and AA preflop? This is unacceptable IMO. We need to petition to have the fish come back online. I miss the days where I would play at tables with 10 BB pot sizes on average.

[/ QUOTE ]

competely agree, so frustrating these days. i think all limit holdem books should now be pulped, or these games are just going to get less and less profitable.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd be happy to sign that one [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] As it is nobody called... an MP2 limper, come on guys, isolate me at least. Maybe it was too obvious that when a player like me limps from MP2 he has a big hand. The players aren't that good actually, they're all just so tight nowadays. Oh well, I still make decent money, but it's not easy...

Anyway, I think I agree with what you said. I doubt anyone will mess around with me in the future by capping the turn with air. How often am I going to 3 bet a c/r and not go to showdown. I hate the 3bet fold to cap line, because I can never fold...
Old 01-11-2007, 08:49 AM

raise preflop
Old 01-11-2007, 08:50 AM

suppose it is a bit about the read of the bigblind. If he is not tricky then he have a seven or a full house. You have two outs to beat him so I think you need to be pretty sure of this to fold to the cap.
Without read it kind of sucks, becouse you dont really feel like throwing away those two last bigbets.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:34 AM

Hey Badger,

When he CRs the turn, wouldn't the best way be to view your next action as bet/fold? Your 3-bet says "I can beat a Jack, even a good one." His cap says "Gotcha!" I believe you fold to this cap.

bill c
Old 01-11-2007, 09:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
raise preflop

[/ QUOTE ]
Thank you for not reading my post [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
When he CRs the turn, wouldn't the best way be to view your next action as bet/fold? Your 3-bet says "I can beat a Jack, even a good one." His cap says "Gotcha!" I believe you fold to this cap.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes... that's what I planned. But then I suddenly wondered if he had AJ or a slowed QQ. Longshots, I know. He was something like 23/5.5/1.7 over 350 hands. Passive enough to make it a clear fold I think. Just wondered if anyone here would say "of course you call down KK overpair". I think I could've either called down from his c/r, or r/f, not r/c. and I think r/f was a reasonable line that often nets 1 BB more than calling down straight away.