Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2007, 07:33 PM

Default building a pc desktop computer

If anyone can link me to some nice review sites, that'd be good too.

I'm not sure what motherboard/processor would be best for me, but I basically want a really good one.

Some requirements:
as many internal sata slots as possible.
can hold 6+ slots for hard drives/dvd drives
5+ usb2 ports (possibly it might be better to just put this as a pci slot? not sure really)
anything else I should consider?

memory:
what's the best kind of memory to get? I'm going to want at least 2gb ram, but possibly more.

video card:
what would I need to play a game like cs:s? Do I need dual graphics cards? Should I consider getting a motherboard with nvidia or whatever built in?

cooling:
worth it to not use fans but use alternate method?
Old 04-25-2007, 11:26 PM

Default Re: building a pc desktop computer

Here's a really good parts guide from Something Awful. I used it when I built my recent machine and it served me well.

[ QUOTE ]
cooling:

[/ QUOTE ]
I always switch the default fans, but that's because I'm going for silence. If you want to over-clock or whatever, I guess you'll have to use fancy-shmancy liquid nitrogen cooling system(s). I don't have much experience with that.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's a really good parts guide from Something Awful. I used it when I built my recent machine and it served me well.

[ QUOTE ]
cooling:

[/ QUOTE ]
I always switch the default fans, but that's because I'm going for silence. If you want to over-clock or whatever, I guess you'll have to use fancy-shmancy liquid nitrogen cooling system(s). I don't have much experience with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't need to go to phase-change cooling to overclock. There's a very nice step between air-cooled and phase-change known as liquid cooling.

LC virgins should get a pre-fab case with LCS built in rather than try to build an LCS from scratch. The latter is easily done with parts from Danger Den or other similar suppliers, but if you've never built a liquid system, you don't want to have to learn about radiators, water blocks, modding your case to accept the radiator, etc. Just buy a case that has pumps, radiators, and hoses pre-installed, and cable the hoses. Kandalf makes good cases of this nature.

Also for a step between LCS and phase-change is the CoolIt systems FreeZone, a stepping Peltier cooler (for CPU's only). It keeps my Kentsfield Quad Core at 52C even under full load, while overclocked to 3.2 Ghz per core. Highly recommended for those who want to overclock but don't want the risk of CPU damage that comes with phase-change cooling.

Jester
Old 04-26-2007, 01:13 AM

you dont need liqiud cooling to overclock.

you just need a good case with good intake fans and outtake i have 2x120mm fans on my 4200 with a 30$ thermaltake heatsink/fan.

i can over clock my 4200x2 from 2.2 to 2.6 with out it getting hot running it at 3.1 gets it going into 65c-70c under big loads which is within limits.

my room mate has his 1.6 dou2 running at 3g all the time too with out liqiud.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:37 AM

http://www.pcper.com/hwlb.php?guide3=y#guide3
http://www.sharkyextreme.com/guides/...708_3649521__1