Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2007, 12:52 AM

Default DirecTV versus Comcast (Chicago)

Okay, so I’m moving into a new apartment in a few weeks and the place I’m hoping to get has free internet plus a DirectTV dish installed. The packaging of the internet and the cable was the reason that I was tethered to Comcast before, so there will really be no reason for that any more.

So basically ... is DirecTV teh nuts versus Comcast in Chicago? The disadvantages I can see is that there are a few less HDTV channels, and it doesn't seem like there's any sort of on-demand service. On the other hand, I'd probably be getting the balls-out package, which means I'd get like 30 movie channels and 30 regional sports networks, plus a DVR.

Any guidance appreciated.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:36 AM

Default Re: DirecTV versus Comcast (Chicago)

I have had both and would give Direct Tv the slight edge. Comcast internet is great, but the cable is not quite as great.
You get more channels on Direct compared to a similar priced package on Comcast.
It's also important if you plan on getting the NFL package. That's what kind of sealed the deal for me.

Comcasts On Demand menu is pretty sweet now, so I dont think you can really go wrong.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:49 AM

DirecTV is launching a new satellite in June and should have dozens of new HD channels by the Fall.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
DirecTV is launching a new satellite in June and should have dozens of new HD channels by the Fall.

[/ QUOTE ]

this could place it over Comcast.

also b/c of the exclusivity on the NFL package.

the best thing about Comcast is the integrated HD DVR, which iirc costs a lot more on Direct TV, and also on-demand is pretty sweet. dvr snobs probably hate the Comcast DVR, but it's cheap, easy to use, and you don't need yet another piece of equipment.

otoh, some video snobs say that Comcast HD >> Direct TV HD, but this may change with the new satellite.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:46 AM

if you are in Chicago, a problem with the dish is the weather in Chicago in the winter and fall (actually the spring too) could cause you to lose your connection. if your dish will be in a place where you can easily get to it, then it shouldnt be a problem if you wouldnt mind goign outside and brushing it off or fixing it. Chicago snow storms suck
Old 05-21-2007, 01:54 PM

If you believe the DirectTV commercials, they'll soon have 4x the number of HD channels.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:11 PM

I really don't know a lot about DirecTV HD versus Comcast, but I did switch from Comcast to DirecTV a little over a year ago, and signed a 2-year contract. All I can say is that once that contract expires, I'll switch back in a second. I've had nothing but problems with their equipment (namely DVR's), and their customer service is AWFUL.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:14 PM

I have had Comcast for the last 4 years. They are expensive, but I have not had problems with their cable service (or high speed Internet). I shudder when I pay $150 a month for HD cable and high speed Internet, but I really do not see the DirecTV as being that much cheaper of an alternative right now.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really don't know a lot about DirecTV HD versus Comcast, but I did switch from Comcast to DirecTV a little over a year ago, and signed a 2-year contract. All I can say is that once that contract expires, I'll switch back in a second. I've had nothing but problems with their equipment (namely DVR's), and their customer service is AWFUL.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had 3 DVRs from them. The first two, I had to do a Clear and Delete reset (losing all saved programs), to cure a bug. But I haven't had any major problems with the third one (an HD DVR).

Unfortunately, my love of NFL Sunday Ticket means I'll never get rid of them. But luckily, I haven't had any problems in 7-8 months.

BTW, 94% of the NFL games this year will be available in HD.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:31 PM

Dear DirecTV,

Please go back to a DVR manufacturer who knows what they're doing.

Sincerely,

Legions of DirecTiVo users