Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2006, 04:37 PM

Default Battling Continuation Bets

My question is not necessarily concerning contesting a pot with a pre-flop steal raiser. There are a variety of options for a competent player to use and then evaluate the opponent's reaction, and proceed from there(although any thoughts regarding this situation welcome). My main concern is one's play against, oh, perhaps a MP raise, and you had limped in. Continuation bets are a constant at all stakes of online play and with competent and idiot players alike. How does one not easily give up a pot(backdoor outs, overcards, maybe the best unpaired hand, etc.) and yet not spew chips unnecessarily? Even predictable players are capable of calling and/or raising with little after having raised pre-flop. Is discretion the better part of valor, (accept your positional disadvantage, check/fold and move on), or are there some alternatives. Any default plays with 4.5 to 6 sb's or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-28-2006, 04:42 PM

Default Re: Battling Continuation Bets

[ QUOTE ]
My question is not necessarily concerning contesting a pot with a pre-flop steal raiser. There are a variety of options for a competent player to use and then evaluate the opponent's reaction, and proceed from there(although any thoughts regarding this situation welcome). My main concern is one's play against, oh, perhaps a MP raise, and you had limped in. Continuation bets are a constant at all stakes of online play and with competent and idiot players alike. How does one not easily give up a pot(backdoor outs, overcards, maybe the best unpaired hand, etc.) and yet not spew chips unnecessarily? Even predictable players are capable of calling and/or raising with little after having raised pre-flop. Is discretion the better part of valor, (accept your positional disadvantage, check/fold and move on), or are there some alternatives. Any default plays with 4.5 to 6 sb's or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are not going to like this answer, but it depends. Your play on a 224 board against a rock is going to be different than your play on a 7TJ board against a lag. Post a specific hand at the appropriate stakes and you will get more porductive responses.
Old 01-28-2006, 04:57 PM

slick,
Point taken. I grow tired of the seemingly weak check/fold line or alternatively my occasional spewing against a made hand. That's just poker I suppose. I posted the question in case there was a void in my thinking regarding this common situation.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:14 AM

With you continuos check and fold, do you leave the poker table feeling like you have been taken advantage of ? I am just teasing [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Sounds like you are playing pretty tight (which rhymes with Right , lol) If a player is constantly betting out after you check to him (more than his fair share) you have to teach him to behave. He sounds like the perfect candidate for a check raise. If he is always raising you after you limp in , then stealing the pot away. Limp in with that big hand , punish him , he will begin to fear you. Then you can begin to take a bit more than your share from him [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Remember the best tells are betting patterns . If you keep betting and checking the same way you will tell him he can have the pot.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:35 AM

Honestly I just don't find that many situations where I limp into a pot in the first place. This is coming from 2/4 limit full ring and I can't imagine you limp more at higher stakes.

Generally if I'm in a hand I'm either the preflop aggressor (in which case I'm the one continuation betting) or I'm in there with a speculative hand (pocket pairs, JQs) and need a very particular type of flop (set, good draw) to continue. If I have that type of flop, then it becomes a matter of pot odds.

Position is crucial when I decide if I want to limp -- generally I avoid playing in marginal pots (high variance) out of position with limping hands. There may be +EV; but sometimes its just too much of a headache to go after.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:36 PM

Most of the time you are going to miss those hands Edial. So an observant opponent would raise you every time you limped in. (which is what is sounds like it happening) As long as the table allows him to continualy isolate you he can have his way with you. Since you won't fold pre flop. He now will have you in a bad spot. Know you will check / fold if you didn't get your draw . And check / call if you did. It is a great play for him. Which is why I suggested limping with some great hands. If you only limp with multiway / speculative hands observant players will take advantage of this. Your are right this probable won't happen as much at the 2/4 table. Where at alot of table straight forward play will get the chips. I would just keep it in mind for when you find your self being isolated. Or better yet if a 2/4 table is so tight that it allows this , move tables [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]