Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2006, 09:43 PM

Default Becoming A Teacher - Opinions Please

After taking the last few years off raising the kids, the last one is off to kindergarten this fall. I really don't want to sit around the house the rest of my life playing poker, and real estate is starting to suck, so I've been thinking about what to do. Both my wife and stepdaughter said I'd make a great teacher. I initially rejected the idea, but after some thought, I'm starting to like it. I'm fairly good at teaching the few times I've done it (I really like showing off what I know in an entertaining manner and the kids respond well - my classes definitely won't be boring), and the few districts I've talked to were really enthused about getting someone from the real world if I had my certs.

Here's the deal. I have both an engineering degree and an MBA, so I can easily teach high school math or science. I think teaching science would be preferrable, but I'll do math if I have to. Conversion programs are pretty easy at the local university, looks like 3 or 4 concentrated courses, then practice teaching and a bunch of tests, maybe another course or two to get certified in math or science.

I don't need big bucks to support the family, that's my wife's department, hours that still allow me to get they kids where they need to go in the afternoon, bennys, summers off, Xmas and spring break, decent coin, plus a sense of contributing to some kids lives in a positive way.

Thoughts or any downside I'm missing?
Old 05-23-2006, 09:46 PM

Default Re: Becoming A Teacher - Opinions Please

Physics is easily the hardest subject to teach high schoolers. I would definitely suggest teaching math
Old 05-23-2006, 09:47 PM

Teach bio, my gr12 bio teacher handed out colouring assignments and ate donuts...seemed like a good job to me
Old 05-23-2006, 10:04 PM

Sounds like you found something you would be motivated to do and enjoy. So go for it. It seems like you will have to spend some time with additional education which will give you time to think about things and may even give you other ideas as well.

In terms of jobs, it will be tough to beat teachers perks (ie time off, working hours), unless you get a public office type of job, but then it would probably suck anyway.

Go for science if that is you're interest. Math and Science are tough and need motivated teachers, I remember all the great teachers I had, they were teaching what they wanted to, you could just tell.

Best of luck to you!
Old 05-23-2006, 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After taking the last few years off raising the kids, the last one is off to kindergarten this fall. I really don't want to sit around the house the rest of my life playing poker, and real estate is starting to suck, so I've been thinking about what to do. Both my wife and stepdaughter said I'd make a great teacher. I initially rejected the idea, but after some thought, I'm starting to like it. I'm fairly good at teaching the few times I've done it (I really like showing off what I know in an entertaining manner and the kids respond well - my classes definitely won't be boring), and the few districts I've talked to were really enthused about getting someone from the real world if I had my certs.

Here's the deal. I have both an engineering degree and an MBA, so I can easily teach high school math or science. I think teaching science would be preferrable, but I'll do math if I have to. Conversion programs are pretty easy at the local university, looks like 3 or 4 concentrated courses, then practice teaching and a bunch of tests, maybe another course or two to get certified in math or science.

I don't need big bucks to support the family, that's my wife's department, hours that still allow me to get they kids where they need to go in the afternoon, bennys, summers off, Xmas and spring break, decent coin, plus a sense of contributing to some kids lives in a positive way.

Thoughts or any downside I'm missing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Consider teaching in a private school--private schools often do not require certification. Also private schools are not caught up in this No Child Left Behind teaching to high stakes standardized tests business. The legal and political issues surrounding public schools mean that teachers have very little leeway in structuring their courses, choosing texts, etc. WIth an MBA you would be qualified to teach certain courses in a community college or even a four-year college. That would give you more autonomy and less BS.

Personally, I am sad to say, under the current circumstances I wouldn't touch teaching in a public school with a 10-ft pole. I deliberately and at great expense sent my son to a private school where the teachers had degrees (often doctoral) from high-prestige universities (e.g., Yale, Dartmouth, etc.) and where they were not certified. I taught students majoring in English ed and working toward certification, and I was not impressed with the education they were receiving or, on average, with their capabilities.

I have a lot of respect for those highly competent teachers who choose to teach in public schools, but I wouldn't have joined them for all the tea in China. Of course, I am familiar primarily with one of the poorest excuses for a public school district in the US--which, among other things, never got the payroll right and which had an administration filled with thieves who were in the process of being marched off to jail when the hurricane struck. In the better school districts around the country, public school teaching may well be a more desirable career choice.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Physics is easily the hardest subject to teach high schoolers. I would definitely suggest teaching math

[/ QUOTE ]

Almost any class revolving around math or physics will involve a high level of difficulty in teaching. Students will constantly need help outside of class and conveying difficult concepts will not be easy as well, especially in the upper level courses.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:24 PM

In many cases, teaching private school is MUCH worse than public. Much worse discipline problem (Perception of public schools being tougher is just that, perception). You will teach more preps, more classes, have more supervision, and be compensated less (In most cases).

But just because other people say you would be "great" at something, I'd check it out for sure before you invest a bunch of time. Ask a local teacher at a public and private school to let you spend 2 days with them. THEN lets see what you think.

Nick
-Retired (At age 25) teacher.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In many cases, teaching private school is MUCH worse than public. Much worse discipline problem (Perception of public schools being tougher is just that, perception). You will teach more preps, more classes, have more supervision, and be compensated less (In most cases).

But just because other people say you would be "great" at something, I'd check it out for sure before you invest a bunch of time. Ask a local teacher at a public and private school to let you spend 2 days with them. THEN lets see what you think.

Nick
-Retired (At age 25) teacher.

[/ QUOTE ]

I absolutely concur. I teach in a public high school, and while it's not a dream job, it is much better than what I had envisioned before my first year. I have several friends who are at private schools, and believe me, it's no holiday. This isn't to say that either one is better or worse than the other.... just different. You might have smaller class sizes and more resources at a private school, but the kids are no better behavior-wise, and you generally have to cater to parents, who are putting up a lot of money to have their kids at that school.

The only reason private schools should be appealing to you is like mentioned before, many private schools do not require a teaching credential. Other than that though, there really shouldn't be too much of a difference either way.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:05 AM

As a parent, I think what you want to do is admirable, and any school would be lucky to have someone with your background and specific experience on their staff.

Now, speaking as someone who used to be a teacher -- I taught high school English for five years -- I would urge you to look at this decision very carefully. There are a number of things that absolutely suck about this profession, and I say that unreservedly.

1. In my experience, class size is the single-most important factor in the quality of the teaching experience, for teacher and student alike. 25 is the line in the sand, and it may be less for a class with a lab. If at all possible, consider the prevailing class sizes in the schools in your area, public and private, and choose the schools with the smallest sustainable class size. This will dramatically improve your teaching experience.

2. In most cases, the school day starts early and ends late. Unless you plan on teaching a partial schedule, expect to get to school by 7:30am and to leave around 5:00pm.

3. Don't underestimate the workload, especially the first few years! This is a big reason why 95% of teachers leave the profession within the first seven years -- the work load can be atrocious. 50-60 hour weeks are not uncommon, hours which are expected if you are a first year lawyer, but may not be what you envision as a teacher.

4. Do not expect it to be especially fun. There will be moments that are fun -- some very fun -- but there will be many more that are just kinda tolerable, and some that just suck. Teaching isn't the same as parenting -- the kids don't love you by default -- and you will need to prove to them continuously that you are fair, smart, interesting, and worthy of their attention. That's a lot of work in and of itself.

5. Many of your colleagues may be bitter. Many of them resent the fact that they don't have the power to shape their curriculums, choose their textbooks, easily remove disruptive students from their classrooms, or earn up to their full potential as professionals. Associating day in and day out with bitter teachers sucks for you as a fellow teacher and for your students. If you do this, promise yourself that you will leave before your bitterness affects your teaching or your students.

I could go on, but I think the above are the most important things to consider. Teaching is a great profession, but the actual number of folks who can do it and enjoy it is much smaller than the general public realizes. Before you get too far into the process, make sure you observe a lot of classes, especially college prep and general level classes within your subject areas, as you will likely have a large number of these types of students in your schedule.

If none of the above are deal-breakers, then you may be well suited to teaching.

Good luck to you, whatever you choose!
Old 05-24-2006, 01:11 AM

I'm debating going into teaching (also as a 2nd/3rd/4th career). I'm more inclined than ever to lean towards private school. The way they treat teachers in the public schools is downright evil - at least in districts near me. While I may have to work harder in the private schools, I'm happy to know that it's appreciated. In the public district I'm most familiar with, they're into cutting people for the sole purpose of denying tenure.