Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2007, 06:40 PM

Default LA Mid-Limit Hold\'em

My apologies if this has been addressed before, here or elsewhere. For those of you who play the mid-limit (9/18-30/60) games in the LA clubs - Commerce, Bike, HP, Hustler, etc. - what kind of winrate have you been able to sustain over a significant number of hands? My intuition is that for a skilled player these games should be very profitable, but I have little frame of reference as to just how much a middling, good, or great player would be expected to make. Interested in hearing from people here who might know...
Old 06-06-2007, 06:51 PM

Default Re: LA Mid-Limit Hold\'em

2bb/hr when I am running hot, but about 1.4-1.7 over the long run. And there are plenty of guys around here who play better than I do, so I think the games are definitely beatable for 2bb/hr.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2bb/hr when I am running hot, but about 1.4-1.7 over the long run. And there are plenty of guys around here who play better than I do, so I think the games are definitely beatable for 2bb/hr.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. So more or less ~$45/hour at a 15 game, and you believe that's sustainable?

I doubt that I'm as good as you, but I'm pretty damn sure I'm a lot better than the average player at HP or Hustler. Good food for thought. Anyone else have real results, or experience in similar situations?
Old 06-06-2007, 07:06 PM

I believe what PJ says is correct and reflects similar results I have had in those games. I have some flaws in my game including a tendancy to slightly tilt at times, so someone who plays flawless/perfect poker could probably do a little better than 2BB an hour at Los Angeles $15-30 and up.

Thats over a lot of hours over the past 4 years or so...with only a few hundred at $15-30 and up over the past 10 months. But I also had a $28 an hour win rate at Los Angeles area $10-20 LHE games over a lot of hours several years ago when I tried to make it as a full time player.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:16 PM

That sounds about right, I win around 1.3 in Bay Area 20-40 over about 1800hrs and the games in LA are slightly softer at that level (they are substantially softer at 40-80 in LA).

I suspect it is possible to win 2BB if you play perfect poker too, but its the very rare person that can play perfect poker over a lot of hours.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:29 PM

I just checked out your homepage Elena, and you're who I thought you were. I've only played with Elena once I think, but she's probably the toughest chick I've played against at 20-40 around here.

She's probably one of the top 5% of the 20-40 players locally, so 1.3 is probably about what a good player can expect to get in the Bay Area. I'm under that... :-(
Old 06-07-2007, 09:13 PM

this may be too academic a point for anyone here to benefit from, but here it comes anyway; the 'softer' the game, the higher the variance.

which is to say, im planning on hitting LA in the next few weeks because i hear wonderful things about the mid stakes LHE action there, but despite usually leaving the bay area games up a .5 to 1 racks after a 4-5 hour session, those same games occasionally cost me 2 racks when the big pots just dont come my way because 93o cracks my aces etc etc.

so although im sure that on an average/good day i can beat the LA lhe games, im most def not looking to predict a positive winrate for a weekends fun, no matter how "soft" the games are.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this may be too academic a point for anyone here to benefit from, but here it comes anyway; the 'softer' the game, the higher the variance.

which is to say, im planning on hitting LA in the next few weeks because i hear wonderful things about the mid stakes LHE action there, but despite usually leaving the bay area games up a .5 to 1 racks after a 4-5 hour session, those same games occasionally cost me 2 racks when the big pots just dont come my way because 93o cracks my aces etc etc.

so although im sure that on an average/good day i can beat the LA lhe games, im most def not looking to predict a positive winrate for a weekends fun, no matter how "soft" the games are.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that's overly academic at all. In fact, it's fairly intuitive for someone who really "gets" poker, to say nothing about statistics.

This is totally true, BTW. When you're running cold it sucks...but it is entirely possible to walk away +50 BB in a four or five hour session getting only good (not great) cards. You just need that bankroll, and a tolerance for loss.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:30 AM

I'm making $7 an hour my last 300 hours at 40-80. Good luck on your 2/hour estimates a-holes.

-Michael
Old 06-08-2007, 08:23 AM

9 years full time now. just a little over 1.5 for the 15/30 to 30/60 games. 1.2 for the 60/120 but my hours have backed way off for that limit.
2 in the 15/30 or 30/60 would be crushing the game long term. I do not know anyone hitting that but I guess it could be done.