Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2007, 12:15 AM

Default Attn Iron, re: Nielso

Iron:

It looks like you permabanned a very good SSNL'er for "extreme hyperbole" in the politics forum.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...0&fpart=all

From reading Nielso's mod notes, it looks like he was seriously on the radar of the "new mod crew" that took over the politics forum at one time and most of his infractions took place over a one-month period when they were doing some extreme modding.

And the recent bans are yours for "hyperbole"...I read the NAU thread and he is exaggerating to make the point that he believes that this will be the end result if we continue down the road that we are currently traveling. He is well-behaved in that thread and it looks like there's discussion happening throughout the thread.

Personally, I don't care for or about his personal politics whatever they are. He tells me, and I have no reason not to believe him, that he is always respectful in the Politics forum, "never swearing or abusing others" (as he told me via IM).

He's always respectful in SSNL and is a valuable strat posting regular in our forum. And I'm going to go to bat for him. This needs to be reversed.

--aj
Old 09-13-2007, 12:23 AM

Default Re: Attn Iron, re: Nielso

Maybe he could agree to not post in politics. I remember him as one of the worst posters there.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:28 AM

he's a lousy poster and won't be missed. it wasn't just new politics mods who didn't like him. he's even been banned from an ANARCHIST ONLY forum for posting a bunch of conspiracy theories and being a bitch when his sources were found to be bogus.

even the ACists in our politics forum are calling him a troll who stopped being useful long ago.

i'm with iron here. if he's valuable in strat let him make a new account (and please make sure to tell iron what it is so he can stay out of politics.)
Old 09-13-2007, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe he could agree to not post in politics.

[/ QUOTE ]

We can all probably think of exceptions, but in general, I'd prefer that this option be available when dealing with good strat posters that misbehave in the off topic forums. If the poster can't live with that then, he/she can stay banned, but otherwise, I think this makes everyone here happy and is good for the site.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:34 AM

he has three times as many politics posts just this week as he does strat posts. politics is his primary forum. i do not think an exception is warranted here.

rest easy, he will probably come back anyway.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:43 AM

And the previous week it was by far in the favor of strat forums for his posts. He's an SSNL regular.

And, uh, he was permabanned for hyperbole.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
he has three times as many politics posts just this week as he does strat posts. politics is his primary forum. i do not think an exception is warranted here.

rest easy, he will probably come back anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should say that I don't know the guy or his work. He may well not be worth saving. That's probably something the mods of the forums he posts in a lot should chat about. I'd just prefer that this option exist as it may be useful in the future.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:47 AM

he was permabanned for repeatedly trolling, citing false sources, attacking others and disrupting good discussion. what does it tell you that even his AC peers aren't really disputing the decision?

i respect that strat posters should get a lot of leeway in the OT forums, and i honestly cannot remember the last time i denied a request from any strat forum mod to unban, un-* or whatever a strat poster (including several that came back and got banned again). this guy is awful and i think iron needs the ability to send a message from time to time and keep his forum under control.

anyway i rarely have a forceful opinion about how someone else should run their forum, but posters like nielsio are the reason that i don't even read that forum anymore, and a lot of others as well.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:53 AM

I keep typing long posts about this like people should care what I think. Both here and in ATF. And I keep deleting them, because I either don't feel qualified to post them or because I hate to jump into the fray. But here are my basic thoughts:

- Politics seems to bring out the worst in posters on this site, many of whom are valued strat contributors
- there seems to be no Politics "community", meaning if it was wiped tomorrow nobody would leave this site (in fact, ATF traffic may quadruple)
- as sweet as iron's moderation seems to be, this forum causes residual problems for other, arguably more important (strat) forums

Conclusion:

- get rid of Politics forum once and for all

That said, what little I've participated in that forum everyone seems to be helpful, but I wonder if the net benefit is greater than its detriment as it pertains to 2+2 in general, and whether posters are just nice because they don't hate me like they do each other. It's like an anti-community.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:56 AM

From what I could tell, there were 4 people who expressed an opinion in that thread about the banning, 2 for, 2 against.

Anyway, all I can speak of is his SSNL posting, which is pretty good. And worthy of me making a stink about it.