Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2007, 06:48 PM

Default Hannibal Rising warning: spoiler

Anyone see this yet? Care to review? Why are we still fascinated by this saga. Was Silence of the Lambs such an influential film that we are still wanting more, 15 years later? How much was television influenced by this movie? So many dramas about catching killers, with similiar soundtrack and camera shots. Arent we getting tired of this type of morosity or are we just a peverse society?

-J
Old 02-12-2007, 10:33 PM

Default Re: Hannibal Rising warning: spoiler

Revenge story that had elements and great potential for sophistication but stuck mostly to pulp fiction. It first draws on the audience's sympathy but later begins to repel it, leaving one rather unsatisfied. The young lead actor is no Anthony Hopkins and I found the character's motivation to be more tedious as the story progressed. Not a bad movie, but nothing special.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:43 AM

When I first saw previews for Hannibal Rising I was excited as I have liked the other movies in the series. Then I saw some more detailed previews for it, I thought it looked like an excuse for another Hostel/Saw movie with the blockbuster power of the Hannibal franchise.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Revenge story that had elements and great potential for sophistication but stuck mostly to pulp fiction. It first draws on the audience's sympathy but later begins to repel it, leaving one rather unsatisfied. The young lead actor is no Anthony Hopkins and I found the character's motivation to be more tedious as the story progressed. Not a bad movie, but nothing special.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, I just finished reading the book, which I thought was Thomas Harris’s best to date. I was very satisfied with the book, but must say that at the end, I really wish he had made the decision towards love, rather than permanently freezing over. But then I wish Michael Corleone hadn’t killed his brother. The book was more than just about revenge, it was the sad story of a brilliant war orphan, raised as an aristocrat but brutally deprived of his family. It’s too bad Mr. Harris only cranks out a book about every 7 years, but each one is well worth a read.