Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2007, 08:55 AM

Default Mute in the Small Blind

3/6 Hold'em. Small blind is in for $1 in the form of one white chip. A few limp then the small blind places a red chip with his white--without verbally announcing a raise-- in one smooth motion and clearly with no deceptive intent.

Is this a raise? If no, why? If yes, no explanation needed.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:57 AM

Default Re: Mute in the Small Blind

It depends...
Old 04-13-2007, 09:21 AM

its a CALL only, always
Old 04-13-2007, 09:52 AM

Call.
Same logic as the 'single oversized chip' rule.
The action is ambiguous.
When an action is ambiguous, it is ruled to be the least aggressive alternative.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:03 AM

He's putting in $6 and it's not one chip, how is that not a raise? How is putting in $6 when the bet is $3 ambiguous?
Old 04-13-2007, 11:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He's putting in $6 and it's not one chip, how is that not a raise? How is putting in $6 when the bet is $3 ambiguous?

[/ QUOTE ]

He is putting one one chip. The $1 is already out there as his blind. He is only putting out one $5 chip when it is his turn to act. If he had reached and grabbed the $1, and then thrown a $1 and a $5 out, that is different. But he didn't do that.

Toss a $5 out, pause, grab his $1 and two $1's from the BB. He was just making change. Guess you have never seen that.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:41 AM

i disagree, this is absolutely a raise. If he puts in the amount for a raise without pulling anything back or announcing it is a raise every time.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:49 PM

I'm in the its always a call camp. For it to be a raise - he must announce raise either before or while he is throwing in the red chip. This comes up all the time when somebody is losing/running out of lower denomination chips and is starting to play $20/$100 bills or $25 green chips. In general I always verify with the dealer what the bet is to me - because I am somewhat hard of hearing and ambient conversations make it even harder for me to hear.

Every time I have asked and there was a controversy, the dealer ruled it a call because he/she never heard the accompanying "raise" said. In one instance the dealer was corrected because several players around the bettor heard the word "raise" while he was placing his green chip.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:17 PM

There was quite a long discussion about this a few months back, but I don't have high search fu stats, so I'll suggest it may have been around December or January.

It's a call. At the very least, it's a pause to confirm the player's intent. When the other thread was going on, I leaned towards call, but there was one poster who was adamant he'd never see someone do that and not mean it as a raise. While I've seen plenty of people put out the red and then pull back the white plenty of times, once a month ago I saw a guy throw it out and not do or say anything. The dealer asked him if it was a raise, and he said no.

It's a call able to be enforced by a nit as the most conservative ruling, it's a "what's your intent, sir?" as the most liberal ruling. It's never automatically a raise.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:45 PM

This is a call. This also shows why 3-6 should have only $1 chips in play.