Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2007, 03:47 AM

Default Poorly played 10/Qs

Posted this awhile ago but it was pretty sloppy so I am reposting it in a cleaner format. Sorry.

I have trouble playing these medium strength hands, but am trying to widen my range of hands that I play preflop any advice would be greatly appreciated.

$1/$2

6 Seat: $150
8 Seat, me: $290
Button: $350

Reads: : 6 seat is LAG, button is TAG. This is a 10 handed game, but pretty tight so far. Lots of weak players limping in trying to see cheap flops and people making obvious probe/continuation bets postflop and folding to raises. Average person started with only about $120. This is about an hour into the game.

Preflop: dealt 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
2 calls. <font color="red"> 6 seat raises to $12 </font>, 7 folds. <font color="red"> 8, me, calls </font>, Folds around to <font color="red"> Button calls </font>, Everyone else folds

Flop: ($40) Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

<font color="red">6 seat bets $12 </font>, <font color="red"> I raise $30 </font>, <font color="red">Button calls </font>, <font color="red"> 6 folds</font>,

Turn: ($110) 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="red"> Both check </font>,

River: ($110) J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

<font color="red"> I check </font>, <font color="red"> Button bets $60 </font> ,

Obviously I made several mistakes here: I didn't bet the turn being the biggest one. I put this person on a flush draw, but the Jack is a scare card because it is also possible that this person had 9/10 and just hit their straight. It is also possible that my check on the turn and river made them think that I did not have a Queen and maybe they hit a drawing hand like J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Now I wanted to keep this a small pot, I was afraid that a bet on a turn would require me to put in much more of my stack than I wanted to put in with this hand. Should I just not get involved with these hands if I am not comfortable in doing so?

What should I have bet on the turn/river if anything? Should I call this bet? Any help would be nice, even if it's just about how I should format these questions later. Thanks a lot.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:45 AM

Default Re: Poorly played 10/Qs

The worst mistake you made imo was calling pf with such a marginal holding. What reason did you have to cold call here? To quote pokey from a sticky "Good explanations: the raise was very small, villain is passive post-flop, I had position on villain, villain and I are both extremely deep-stacked, villain is incredibly aggressive preflop, my suited connectors are particularly strong, there are several cold-callers in front of me, etc. I’m not saying you shouldn’t ever cold-call with suited connectors; rather, I’m saying you shouldn’t AUTOMATICALLY do so".

Raisng with these types of hands in late position is a better play than cold calling and when you see a flop your playing for flushes and straights as your TP is so weak.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:32 AM

Convert better, fold preflop. Either call flop or raise to $50. Call river. But you really made some terrible plays here.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:21 AM

In this cash game 12 dollars preflop is the usual bet. The three players that caled in front of me and the one who raised to 12 are pretty much all free money. I can outplay them in position almost every time. Over the course of the night these hands add up to hundred of dollars. I probably have a good $70 profit from plays like this so far already. What I wasn't expecting was the call from the button on the flop. Should I not get involved with these hands for fear of things like that?

I think that raising to $50 preflop would have been a worse play as the original raiser very likely would have called and then I would have been forced to outplay him for a $100 dollar pot on the flop instead of a $30. Do you think that I just shouldn't get involved with these pots at all in fear of getting involved with the solid player that is behind me?
Old 09-24-2007, 10:30 AM

I'm not too sure of the benefits of raisingf $50 on that flop but I would like to be enlightened.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:52 AM

Yeah I agree 100%. The player in the 6 seat is absolutely horrible and dead money. My raise of only 18 on his 12 was enough to get him out. It had worked several times previously that night already. What I'm confused about is what to do about the button now. We are both deep stacked and I obviously don't want to play for a lot with such a marginal hand, but on the same note I've already built the pot and think I have the best hand.