Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2007, 01:53 PM

Default I tried to fold KJo PF then flopped top pair

Same 3/6 game as my other post. The table is generally loose passive to my right, and tight for 3 seats to my left, so I'm in a good spot.

Two loose/clueless limp, I limp with KJo (raise here?), folded to the SB who raises. Action gets to me and I throw out 3 more chips. Then the dealer points out that one of the EP limpers has now 3-bet. I try to see if I can take back my chips and fold, but the dealer says no, so since the other limper has already called, I call another bet as well.

A quick note on the limp-3-better. This guy is really terrible, probably a 80 VPIP guy, will call down with any pocket pair, prone to firing at flops with any piece, totally randomly. His limp-3-bet really means nothing, his range is any pair down to suited connectors, to stuff like K3s.

So I call, the SB caps it, and everyone calls, including me basically closing the action getting 20-1. EP 3-better proclaims that I will win the hand since I tried to fold.

5 to the flop for 20 SB.

Flop of J83 rainbow. It's checked to the PF 3-better, who bets. I call, SB, BB call, other EP folds. (?) 5 to the turn for 12.5 BB.

Turn is like a 5, putting two spades on the board. Checked to the PF 3-better who bets. I raise.

Look good?
Old 01-16-2007, 02:15 PM

Default Re: I tried to fold KJo PF then flopped top pair

looks good. I usually raise the first time around instead of limping, but calling isn't terrible.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
looks good. I usually raise the first time around instead of limping, but calling isn't terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-16-2007, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I really wish I had something to add here... Your flop/turn line is super sweet.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the thoughts guys. Many times I'd raise the flop as well, but I didn't for a couple of reasons. Tell me if I'm off anywhere.

One, given my position, I wanted to see what the action was after I called. If the SB CR'ed, and it was 3-bet or capped back to me - which would be unusual in this game - I'd have a pretty easy fold.

Two, a flop raise would be unlikely to clean up any of my outs, and would put me in the likely position of having it checked to me on the turn, where I really would have no way to protect my hand at all. I thought with a turn raise I could isolate the weaker guy, and even fold out a hand like QQ or AJ which was possible with one of the weak-tight older players. I also thought it could clean up my outs a bit more, because even if they're getting correct odds, a lot of people still ditch stuff like AQ, KQ on the turn.

Finally, given that I tried to fold PF, I think a raise on the turn just looks like a monster there.

Just a few reasons I went with that line.

In the hand the two early players folded, and the fishy guy said "see, what did I tell you, I knew you'd win this one". He then called my turn raise, and open-folded the river and said "you win".
Old 01-17-2007, 01:24 AM

Good job IMO waiting for the turn to raise, you need to try and blast people out of this very large pot. Keep fighing for it.