Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2006, 06:58 PM

Default $30+3 - too early to push this KTo ?

$30+3
Level goes up in 1 min, I could wait until I'm through the blinds but ideally I'd like to double up at some point. Do you think it's too early to push this ?

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t50/t100
5 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
Hero: t1365
CO: t2010
Button: t5125
SB: t1960
BB: t3320

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is UTG with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises all-in t1365</font>
Old 12-07-2006, 07:07 PM

Default Re: $30+3 - too early to push this KTo ?

yes too early

even with the blinds increasing you can find a better spot

and this goes in one table tournaments
Old 12-07-2006, 07:30 PM

With blinds going up within 1 minute, I wouldn't completely rule out a move all-in for two reasons.

Your M at blinds 75/150 will be somewhere around 6 which is flirting with being sent to the rail. You might not pick up anything better before the blinds get back to you.

Second, you might be able to steal the blinds here which will buy you some time to maybe get better cards to make a move. If you happen to get called, you still might end up with the best hand.

Another factor to consider is what is your goal with this SNG or MTT? If you are playing to win, then I would elect for a move now before the blinds start getting high. Yet, if you are playing to maybe squeeze out a cash then the right move may be to fold here.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:37 PM

There are no antes and you are pushing into 4 players for 13xBB with KTo. I think this may be slightly cEV-. I might limp or make a small raise. Depending on table conditions, I might fold, as this is essentially a steal raise.

The fact that the blinds are going up is not a reason to push. Better to push for 9xBB after they go up.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:13 AM

easy fold for me, you need a pretty strong hand to do this here imo.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:29 AM

Against 5 people isn't KT a pretty strong holding?
I agree it's crap at a full table but...
a raise leaves me in a bad state if someone else reraises over the top as is likely with this stack size.
If the blinds go past then I'm in the same situation.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:36 AM

KTo is actually a pretty bad hand to open push. The problem is that although its above average against a random hand, the hands that will call you aren't random at all. And KTo is dominated by many of them. You'd be better off pushing something like 76s here, because if you're called you're likely only a small underdog, while KTo will be a heavy underdog to hands like AK, AT, KQ, etc.

Believe it or not, I was thinking about this hand all night. I'll post more soon.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
KTo is actually a pretty bad hand to open push. The problem is that although its above average against a random hand, the hands that will call you aren't random at all. And KTo is dominated by many of them. You'd be better off pushing something like 76s here, because if you're called you're likely only a small underdog, while KTo will be a heavy underdog to hands like AK, AT, KQ, etc.

Believe it or not, I was thinking about this hand all night. I'll post more soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

My gut instinct here was that this was an OK but not great push being 5-handed and all. Upon second thought thought I am starting to see zoobirds point and I am thinking this is a fold (since we are purely stealing we cant really make a standard raise here IMO). Assuming that we fold this and fold through our big and small blind we will have ~1200 or M~5 left for pushbotting which I think is preferable to shoving w/ our K10o to pick up the 150. It's too bad the lvls didn't change one minute in the past instead of 1 minute in the future b/c then we pick up 225 and this becomes a more realistic open push (even though we might still be better of w/ 67s or whatever).