Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2007, 05:03 AM

Default Semi tilting AQo hand vs aggro donk, 200nl.

This guy is 40/20/3, but not a smart lag, very random and generally bad. He loves to float and bet out on the turn. my image at the table should be very solid, Ive won a few big pots but may appear a bit frustrated (and was a little) because the unpredictable sLAG to my left has taken a few medium sized pots away from me in the last orbit or two.

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $1/$2 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $166.60
Hero (BB): $313.80
UTG: $228.95
MP: $197.10
CO: $212.95
BTN: $244.00

Preflop: Hero is dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (6 Players)
UTG calls $2.00, 2 folds, BTN calls $2.00, SB folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $12.00</font>, UTG folds, BTN calls $10.00

Flop: ($27) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $24.00</font>, BTN calls $24.00

Turn: ($75) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">BTN bets $75.00</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises all-in to $277.80</font>

Effectively turning my hand into a bluff? I feel I get more value from checking the hand on the turn because he bets his entire range when I check, but check calling can leave me with some difficult river decisions.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:08 AM

Default Re: Semi tilting AQo hand vs aggro donk, 200nl.

My default is to bet/fold the turn but I see what you mean when you say you'll get more value by checking and giving him some rope, so I like your turn check.

Once he pots it it's now a shove or fold situation, and if this guy likes to float/is betting his draws here then I think you need to shove. If villain thinks you are tilting at all he might make a hero call with a lot of worse aces.

When he pots it I'm worried about A5 or maybe 4s5s but I don't think I can fold this hand against an opponent who likes to bluff.

Last option is calling the bet and checking the river to him, I don't like this line a lot but if he'll give up on his bluffs and maybe check down some stronger hands depending on the river card then this might be a decent play.

I'm rambling but in the end I think you're line is fine [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2007, 05:10 AM

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] your line.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] your line.

[/ QUOTE ]

mine, or schpanko's bet/fold turn?

I think there are reasonable cases for bet/fold check/call and crai on the turn, interested to hear some other opinions.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:34 AM

I love it. This guy is taking a stab at this turn with almost his whole range. If you have been check/ folding alot, he knows what is up if you just lead the turn again, and he will only continue with his non-float hands.

He might call a push with worse aces, and maybe even FDs. I don't think its a bluff.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:48 AM

v good against described opp imho
Old 09-12-2007, 05:54 AM

Your line in the OP. If villain floats a lot, give him the rope he needs.

Bet/folding certainly is the most straightforward line as it gives you value from worse aces, protects you against draws and gives you the possibility to escape in case he raises. But it might also put you in some awkward river spots if he calls your bet if an ugly cards arrives.
But if villain is capable of betting with every hand he calls the flop with, but would throw away most of it to another bet, why not let him bet? You're definitely ahead of his betting range.
Flat calling his bet and checking the river is an option, if he's aggressive enough to make a hero bluff. But this kinda commits you to call any non-[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] river.
But c/r'ing the turn is more or less a stack-a-donk and he seems to be donkish enough to fall for this trap with weaker aces and could probably talk himself into calling with flushdraws as well. I'm not saying you are necessarily ahead of the range he calls your push with, but you don't have to be and wont be a huge dog either.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:18 AM

I like this line.

Btw, you are not turning your hand into a bluff, you are protecting your equity when you're ahead and giving villain a chance to make a mistake by calling with a draw.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:22 AM

well played. Stack-a-donk is not an "OP only" line
Old 09-12-2007, 09:23 AM

nh