Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2007, 05:08 AM

Default Poker and Therapy

I’ve recently considering seeing a psychologist with the goal of improving my poker game and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this.

I know many professional athletes see sports Psychologist in order to enhance their concentration, improve confidence and maximize their time “in the zone”. Obviously, improving in these areas could also help with poker.

-Has anyone seen a psychologist in an effort to improve their poker game? Any recommendations?

-I recall reading an article where Phil Lakk takes about getting brain wave analysis while playing poker in an effort to see when he is making logical vs rational decisions while playing; in an effort to train himself to make more rational decisions. Does anyone have a link to this article or any first hand experience?

-Tommy Angelo offers private coaching called Tiltless. Has anyone taken this and did you find it help you play a more emotionally controlled game.

Any thoughts in general?
Old 01-17-2007, 05:55 AM

Default Re: Poker and Therapy

No, but I like your avatar.

-J
Old 01-17-2007, 08:19 AM

I think that if i become a more balanced person, I'll become a better player.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:39 AM

Default Re: Poker and Therapy(is John Feeney here?)

Feeney talks about therapy a little bit in ITPM.

Poker_Plan posted this in a thread recently:
[ QUOTE ]
I think a lot of people really miss the main point (as I see it) of poker: To do well externally, you must make a very diffcult journey internally. On that journey you're going to find a lot of things that stand in your way- baggage that you've carried for years, that you've created. Are you willing or even capable to erradicate it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Most people could benefit from some form of therapy, even for the short term. I don't see how a good therapist could not help you with the inner journey that it takes to become a good player.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:26 PM

I think this is an interesting question and I've wondered about it myself. I have issues with tilting and moving up to chase my losses. I also make impulse river calls just because it's so easy to click "call" when it's obvious that I'm losing more often than not.

In addition, I HATE being bluffed, be it in a small 6bb pot or in a massive pot. I often make river calls with a-hi on stuff like paired boards just to see what the opponent has and having the attitude of "you do not steal my pots". I think this is the reason I haven't really progressed past 5/10nl and 10/20nl.

It's horrible and I know I have these leaks, but I impulsively find myself making these mistakes time and time again. It especially happens when I play higher than normal (normal for me is 2/4, 3/6 and 5/10nl).

I'd be interested if anyone can chime in about the therapy part. I think it's an interesting topic, and if it even helps with a +0.5ptbb difference, it'd be worth the time. And obviously it could go beyond just poker improvement.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In addition, I HATE being bluffed...

I'd be interested if anyone can chime in about the therapy part.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you do it right, therapy will be the hardest work you will ever do. But it can be very rewarding...and ++EV.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
-Tommy Angelo offers private coaching called Tiltless. Has anyone taken this and did you find it help you play a more emotionally controlled game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tommy's great and, yes, he can offer a ton of help with emotional control.