Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2007, 04:14 PM

Default De Le Hoya/Mayweather 24/7 on HBO

Any one else watch the first episode of this? Pretty cool. De La Hoya is class personified (with a hot wife) while Mayweather acts like a classless punk. His Uncle/trainer is a complete tool, as well.

I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of these and will be rooting for Mayweather to get hit so hard during the fight he starts crying and poops his trunks.

What does everyone think of Oscar's chances?
Old 04-17-2007, 04:20 PM

Default Re: De Le Hoya/Mayweather 24/7 on HBO

Mayweather is acting like a punk because he's trying to get noticed. He's been the best fighter in the world for a while now and still can't get the draw that Oscar can. Being a great fighter and going about your business with class can only get you so far. Mayweather has obviously grown tired of watching other fighters get paid more and decided "[censored] it, I'll be the bad guy."

Oscar is going to get beat to a pulp. Mayweather is far too quick, and Oscar has been embarrassed by much lesser fighters.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:55 PM

I'm not sure Oscar has been "embarrassed" by any fighter. He certainly has lost to debatably lesser fighters but certainly never embarrassed.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:16 PM

I'd say he was embarrassed by Hopkins, but that opens up a whole debate about Hopkins in relation to Mayweather and that isn't really something I want to get into.
Embarrassed is probably too strong a word, but I just don't see Oscar as much more than a name at this point.

He's hardly fought at all in the past 5 years and hasn't looked that good in the majority of those fights.

Mayweather is faster on his feet, quicker with his hands and has better technique. Add in the fact that he's younger and has a huge chip on his shoulder about Oscar making 2-3x more than him and I just don't see Oscar giving him a serious run.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mayweather is acting like a punk because he's trying to get noticed. He's been the best fighter in the world for a while now and still can't get the draw that Oscar can. Being a great fighter and going about your business with class can only get you so far. Mayweather has obviously grown tired of watching other fighters get paid more and decided "[censored] it, I'll be the bad guy."

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. Its like he saw a movie on Jack Johnson and a light bulb went off..

I didnt really like the show that much though. The guys immeaditally defined themselves (humble/classy and loud/street) and pretty much the rest of the show was them protraying that persona.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd say he was embarrassed by Hopkins,

[/ QUOTE ]

How is Hopkins a lesser fighter than anyone? He's lightning fast and punches hard. De La Hoya lost to Hopkins because Hopkins was probably the better fighter, AND he was the bigger man.

The thing Oscar has going for him is that he is much larger physically than Mayweather. Mayweather has speed on his side, but if Oscar can get him to stand and fight he has a chance. The Vegas lines reflect this....although I think the lines also reflect that Oscar might get a lot of play as a sentimental favorite.

Mayweather isn't "acting" like a classless punk. He is a classless punk and has had all kinds of legal trouble due to him being a piece of crap.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:39 PM

way to crop that one out of context.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF, IIRC Oscar was ahead/even on at least one card at the time of the KO. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Now, Tarver & Trinidad were embarrassed by Hopkins.

FWIW I think Mayweather will come close to embarrassing Oscar, if he sticks to the gameplan. "Treat it like boxing; stick n move, stick n move!"

Too much speed, could pitch a shutout. But if he tries to take Oscar out, who knows?
Old 04-17-2007, 08:16 PM

I've recorded this, but I have a feeling it'll just make me do something stupid, like order a $55 PPV. I can watch a NHL playoff game in person for that much. No [censored] thanks.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF, IIRC Oscar was ahead/even on at least one card at the time of the KO. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Now, Tarver & Trinidad were embarrassed by Hopkins.

FWIW I think Mayweather will come close to embarrassing Oscar, if he sticks to the gameplan. "Treat it like boxing; stick n move, stick n move!"

Too much speed, could pitch a shutout. But if he tries to take Oscar out, who knows?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oscar was ahead at on one card at the time, but thats shady boxing judging more than anything. The other 2 judges had Hopkins well ahead on points.

As far as Mayweather sticking to boxing and not trying to force a KO, he's always seemed content to dance around pile up the points. I doubt he'll be foolish enough to abandon that while moving up a class.

I don't know that Ive ever seen anyone actually hurt Mayweather in the ring, so anything is possible if Oscar can land a big shot but thats easier said than done.