Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2007, 04:24 PM

Default What is your thought process during a hand?

I think that sometimes I "skip steps" in my thinking when playing a hand, either by blindly clinging to a strong hand failing to put my opponent on an accurate range or ignoring vital factors (ie. this opponent can't be bluffed). Two things that have me thinking about thought processes in a more detailed manner are reading through some of Pokey's old posts and a section in one of Phil Gordon's books where he details a general algorithm for thinking about a hand. Also the fact that I'm much better at post-session analysis than I am in the heat of the moment.

So I'm curious as a general poll of 2p2 posters, what kind of thought process do you go through during a hand? Do you have a specific "script" you go through, how do you take care to avoid rushing decisions, how do your thought processes incorporate future streets?
Old 04-25-2007, 04:27 PM

Default Re: What is your thought process during a hand?

I tend to just let my mind run and do whatever play feels right to me. I have default lines ingrained into my mind and I just play those usually. When I make a play or decided on a different play, I start to analyze why I'm making this play and what hands I think I can fold out in addition to my possible equity against his range and what potential scare cards can hit. I also have a plan on what to do if I hit my hand and have a plan on what to do if I don't but I also am willing to change my mind based on action.

Basically I just try to analyze everything when I do anything non standard.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:29 PM

How good of a player is he? Does he understand position? What are his range of hands? Is he an aggressive player or a passive player? How does he play his big hands? How does he play his small hands? How does he play his draws? Does he mix up his play? Is he a call station or a tight rock waiting for the nuts? How does he perceive me? Does he think I bluff a lot and doesnt give me respect, or does he give me credit when i bet? What does he have, what is he trying to represent? If hes a thinking player, then what does he think I have?

Remember to adjust your thoughts differently for weak players vs. medium players vs. stronger players. Some players dont think, while others could be thinking along the same lines as you.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:33 PM

It really is case dependent. I really think out the hand if I have a monster. If I have a big hand, I am trying to manipulate the pot as best I can to make it so that I get my money in there at the end. My two ways of doing this are:

1) If I think that he would bluff or vbet me if I show weakness, I make sure I bet so that villain and hero have enough behind that villain thinkins a bluff is possible. If he is laying me 4 to 1 to call, he probably isnt going to be bluffing as often here. If he has enough behind where he can bluff the river laying me 2 to 1, it is more likely that I would fold here (assuming I was weak).

b) the reverse of the last examples river action...I want the pot to be so big that I am laying him correct odds to call my AI.

Just some random examples, obviously not the only thoughts that are running through my head.