Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2007, 08:31 PM

Default two king high call downs on paired flops huhu

villain is fishy and bad. on the passive side though. he limps all sorts of trash OTB but raises his strong hands.
"peel ragged flops fold turn
c/c c/f alot
raises pre/post seem to be good hands
call down v light"

Poker Room skin
Pot Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $5/$10
2 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (2 players) yourface is BB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
SB calls, yourface checks.

Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($10, 2 players)
yourface checks, SB checks.

Turn: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($10, 2 players)
yourface checks, <font color="#cc0000">SB bets $10</font>, yourface calls.

River: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($30, 2 players)
yourface checks, <font color="#cc0000">SB bets $10</font>, yourface calls.

Results:
Final pot: $50

villain is fishy but not as bad as the last guy. he's not playing right now so I can't get my notes on him. he also limps all sorts of trash but will raise his better hands.

I should have raised preflop here. dunno what I was thinking.

Poker Room skin
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $5/$10
2 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (2 players) yourface is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
SB calls, yourface checks.

Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2SB, 2 players)
yourface checks, SB checks.

Turn: 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (1BB, 2 players)
yourface checks, <font color="#cc0000">SB bets</font>, yourface calls.

River: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3BB, 2 players)
yourface checks, <font color="#cc0000">SB bets</font>, yourface calls.

Results:
Final pot: 5BB
Old 05-18-2007, 08:41 PM

Default Re: two king high call downs on paired flops huhu

I know everyone hates pre-flop discussions . . . but I really think you need to give some action pre- in both these hands. The guy completed in both hands and you've got a K! In one hand you have KT! Especially given your notes on his apparently weak post-flop play but willingness to peel loosely - I'd think you'd be looking to raise pre- and fire on many flops and turns given your hand strength.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:52 PM

yea hand 2 I definitely should have raised. hand 1 I'm not so sure, but you may be right. I'm still relatively new to heads up play.

any comments on postflop?
Old 05-18-2007, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yea hand 2 I definitely should have raised. hand 1 I'm not so sure, but you may be right. I'm still relatively new to heads up play.

any comments on postflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

You have stronger than average hand here on paired raggedy flops against a guy who open-completed and is both prone to peel and then fold turns but also call down light. I'd probably be leading each street in both hands.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:07 PM

hand 1 I was hoping to induce bluffs on the flop and turn. he's not super aggressive but definately isn't above stabbing at ragged flops when checked to. on the turn I felt that as played c/c would get the most value.

hand 2 I was going to c/f the flop. maybe that is too weak, but I don't really feel like battling for a tiny pot when there are tons of draws for villain to peel with and I am OOP. I don't want to invest a couple bets just to get played off the best hand, or get valuetowned by a small pair if I grit my teeth and show down against a bet. after the flop action and with such a brick of a turn I figured I was ahead a lot so again I tried to induce a bluff. I didn't see any value in a bet.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:14 PM

That's fine and of course there's a tempo and rhythm to most HU matches, but I'd still be a lot more inclined to generally take the approach of pressing an advantage (i.e., having the best hand) by betting HU. The pots are tiny partly because you neglected to do this pre-flop and in any event are really never going to get that big by the flop if the guy is open-completing a lot pre-flop. Also, my default with the KT hand would be "let's see a SD" even if played back at a bit by Villain on a lot of boards -- there wouldn't be a whole lot of gritting teeth (and how would you have to face a bet OOP except where you play the hand exactly as you did -- hoping to face a bet?).
Old 05-20-2007, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, my default with the KT hand would be "let's see a SD" even if played back at a bit by Villain on a lot of boards -- there wouldn't be a whole lot of gritting teeth (and how would you have to face a bet OOP except where you play the hand exactly as you did -- hoping to face a bet?).

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant if I had bet flop+turn and villain calls both. I don't see any value in a river bet so I would check to induce a bluff from a busted draw.