Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2007, 06:23 PM

Default Bush\'s Support of Senate Immigration Bill - Please Explain it For Me

Bush Takes On Conservatives Over Immigration

I guess I deserve this after all the hatred spewed about
Bush on this forum and my disapproval of the hatred. This stuff from Bush is just crap.

“If you want to scare the American people, what you say is the bill’s an amnesty bill,” Mr. Bush said at a training center for customs protection agents and other federal agents here in southeastern Georgia. “That’s empty political rhetoric trying to frighten our citizens.”

Now who's spewing empty political rhetoric after all?

“If you want to kill the bill,” he said, “if you don’t want to do what’s right for America, you can pick one little aspect out of it. You can use it to frighten people.”

Demagoguery in it's purest form.

A senior official said later, “In no way was he questioning anyone’s patriotism or desire to do what’s right.”

Have we heard statements like this before about Bush's attacks on his Iraq critics?

“People in Congress need the courage to go back to their districts and explain exactly what this bill is all about,” Mr. Bush said. “The fundamental question is will elected officials have the courage necessary to put a comprehensive immigration plan in place that makes it more likely we can enforce our border and, at the same time, uphold the great traditions of immigrant traditions of the United States of America?”

Hogwash, you're gutless if you disagree with his policy?

“Amnesty is forgiveness for being here without any penalties,” Mr. Bush said. “That’s what amnesty is. I oppose it. The authors, many of the authors, of this bill oppose it. This bill is not an amnesty bill.”

A lie pure and simple.

Bush tries to blunt immigration deal criticism

"You can use it to frighten people," Bush said. "Or you can show leadership and solve this problem once and for all."

That's rich, what a crock.

"A lot of Americans are skeptical about immigration reform, primarily because they don't think the government can fix the problems," Bush said.

And is there any reason to believe otherwise, that the Federal government is highly functional?

And my answer to the skeptics is: give us a chance to fix the problems in a comprehensive way that enforces our border and treats people with decency and respect. Give us a chance to fix this problem. Don't try to kill this bill before it gets moving," Bush told students and instructors at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center.

You've had your chance and more than one I might add. Good riddance and I can't wait.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:34 AM

Default Re: Bush\'s Support of Senate Immigration Bill - Please Explain it For Me

[ QUOTE ]
Bush Takes On Conservatives Over Immigration

I guess I deserve this after all the hatred spewed about
Bush on this forum and my disapproval of the hatred. This stuff from Bush is just crap.

“If you want to scare the American people, what you say is the bill’s an amnesty bill,” Mr. Bush said at a training center for customs protection agents and other federal agents here in southeastern Georgia. “That’s empty political rhetoric trying to frighten our citizens.”

Now who's spewing empty political rhetoric after all?

“If you want to kill the bill,” he said, “if you don’t want to do what’s right for America, you can pick one little aspect out of it. You can use it to frighten people.”

Demagoguery in it's purest form.

A senior official said later, “In no way was he questioning anyone’s patriotism or desire to do what’s right.”

Have we heard statements like this before about Bush's attacks on his Iraq critics?

“People in Congress need the courage to go back to their districts and explain exactly what this bill is all about,” Mr. Bush said. “The fundamental question is will elected officials have the courage necessary to put a comprehensive immigration plan in place that makes it more likely we can enforce our border and, at the same time, uphold the great traditions of immigrant traditions of the United States of America?”

Hogwash, you're gutless if you disagree with his policy?

“Amnesty is forgiveness for being here without any penalties,” Mr. Bush said. “That’s what amnesty is. I oppose it. The authors, many of the authors, of this bill oppose it. This bill is not an amnesty bill.”

A lie pure and simple.

Bush tries to blunt immigration deal criticism

"You can use it to frighten people," Bush said. "Or you can show leadership and solve this problem once and for all."

That's rich, what a crock.

"A lot of Americans are skeptical about immigration reform, primarily because they don't think the government can fix the problems," Bush said.

And is there any reason to believe otherwise, that the Federal government is highly functional?

And my answer to the skeptics is: give us a chance to fix the problems in a comprehensive way that enforces our border and treats people with decency and respect. Give us a chance to fix this problem. Don't try to kill this bill before it gets moving," Bush told students and instructors at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center.

You've had your chance and more than one I might add. Good riddance and I can't wait.

[/ QUOTE ]

No answers, but my take is that Bush and his henchmen are on an ideological mission.

Peggy Noonan offers some keen insights or observations here:

Peggy Noonan
Old 06-02-2007, 11:40 AM

Default Re: Bush\'s Support of Senate Immigration Bill - Please Explain it For

Without reading your link, i would think Bush wants to try and stop the huge Hispanic voting bloc from going en masse to the Democrats. He wants one of his legacies to be that he brought the Hispanic majority to the republican party. I don't see how he can think he can still do this, but i don't see any other real explanation.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:49 AM

The clear lines demarcating liberal and conservative have been blurred somewhat under the last two administrations: a "liberal" Democrat reformed welfare and now a "conservative" Republican is standing up to the illegal imigration rightists in his own party. It just might be that Bush thinks his stand on illegal immigration is the right thing to do. The rhetoric questioning the patriotism and morals of those who oppose him is, of course, par for the course with this administration. It's unuual to hear a president speak that way of those in his own party, but this is an unusual president in many ways.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:00 PM

Default Re: Bush\'s Support of Senate Immigration Bill - Please Explain it For Me

I think its kind of funny. He's using the same empty rhetoric to demonize his critics, but this time it's against people that voted for him!
Old 06-02-2007, 12:19 PM

Default Jeez....I\'m Sick of Bush

[ QUOTE ]
The rhetoric questioning the patriotism and morals of those who oppose him

[/ QUOTE ]
Bush has done this before against Repubs. When trial balloons were floated to make Al Gonzo a supreme court judge, conservative Repubs raised hell. So then Bush attacked conservative Repubs who did not trust Gonzo to be supreme court material (they were right). So then this nitwit nominates Harriet Myers.... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

The immigration bill is a knife in the back to the conservative base which supported Bush for 2 terms.... He thinks this will win the hispanic vote but this won't happen. They will vote for welfare-giving-Dems and the Repub party will be mortally wounded....perhaps forever...
Old 06-02-2007, 12:20 PM

Default Re: Jeez....I\'m Sick of Bush

We can only hope!
Old 06-02-2007, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think its kind of funny. He's using the same empty rhetoric to demonize his critics, but this time it's against people that voted for him!

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, funny in an ironic sort of way.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:09 PM

This brings to mind the wisdom of the old adage that says only fools invest their hopes in politicians. Chucky Schumer and Hillary are my senators (led by the incomparable Reid), Pelosi is speaker and GW is president. With midgets such as these in charge, I'm really optimistic about the future of the republic.

As I write this, television news is talking about the arrests of people who were trying to blow up JFK airport. I guess John Edwards is now going to have to demand equal time to clarify his remarks about the war on terror being a non-issue and a right-wing bumper sticker.

By the way, the "liberal" Democrat who "reformed" welfare merely signed the bill; the Republican Congress drafted and submitted it and he felt that he was forced to sign it. The "conservative" Republican feels he has to remind his erstwhile constituents that they're a bunch of xenophobes and racists for wanting said "conservative" Republican to merely follow the law that's currently in place.

Is anybody on this forum old enough to remember when all schoolkids had to be inoculated against the multivarious diseases that were just waiting to strike them down? We actually had to bring doctors' certificates in to school attesting that this had been done. How has Mexico cared for the citizens it's sending us and what are they bringing with them?

Sondheim said it best (about sending in the clowns): Don't bother, they're here!
Old 06-02-2007, 03:09 PM

Bush has supported some form of worker program since the beginning of his presidential run. This is nothing new Its one of his better platforms and something he knows about. To act like this is a new thing for him that he just sprung on his base is asinine. Hes been talkin about this idea repeatedly for years.