Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2006, 01:40 AM

Default Hey there, 2+2 gurus.

Hey there, everyone.

I am humbled to even post at this site. No less than the 2004 WSOP main event champion, Greg Raymer, cites this place as a major reason for his success.

Many of you helped make him the champion that he is. Kudos.

Anyway. Why am I posting? Not sure. I'm a little drunk. So please excuse my ignorance and my boldness. I've been lurking for quite awhile. But this is my first thread. Yeah, you'll probably flame me (deservedly) and I'll never post again. But I'll still lurk, because I've learned a great deal from this group.

Anyway. Here's my story. I'm married. My wife doesn't approve of gambling. But I'm a poker nut. To be honest, I didn't get hooked until the 2004 WSOP. But make no mistake, I am hooked. I have purchased and devoured countless texts on Hold'Em. I have crushed the play-money games (as any decent player should) at ESPN, Pokerstars and Party Poker.

A few months ago, I persuaded my dear wife to agree to allow me to deposit $100 at Pokerstars. Man, it sounds like I am whipped, doesn't it? Well, I guess I am. But she's worth it.

Still, I think you need to realize just how important this step was. My wife is as straight-laced as you get, without being a complete turn-off. Sure, she'll cuss and occasionally drink, but she also remained a virgin until marriage. And yes, I'm her first and only husband.

She's against gambling, but my love for this game was apparent. As a compromise, she said that if our state (North Carolina) ever passed a lottery, she would allow me to deposit $100 into the poker site of my choice.

Wouldn't you know it? Our state did pass the lottery. And as soon as they did, I had an account at Neteller and $100 deposited at Pokerstars.

I started with Limit Hold'Em. I did okay, building my bankroll to $130 or so. But then I played a few tournaments and dropped back down to near $100.

I even found a Party Poker offer that gave me $75 for playing some 500 raked hands or so. I played the 500 hands, realized I didn't like Party Poker, and then decided to risk it all at a $100 No-Limit Max Buy-In table. I bought in with my entire bankroll, and then blew it all with KJo when I flopped trip Kings. The villain, of course, had a full boat.

Anyway. My Pokerstars account still had the $100 that I deposited. I decided to play within my means. After reading this forum, I learned that I should have at least 20 max buy-ins for whatever NL level I was playing at. With only $100, that meant I needed to play at the lowest stakes available: 1 cent/2 cent blinds. $5.00 max buy-in.

I have been disciplined. And I have grinded my bankroll from $100 to about $176. Before long (I hope), I'll be moving up to $10 max buy-ins.

My guess is the play won't improve all that much. Maybe some. But not a ton.

Either way, I'm enjoying myself.

Likewise, I hope you've enjoyed this post (Yeah, sure you have...). I'll continue to grind away at the micro limits and learn as much as I can from the knowledgeable locals here.

Best wishes,

Bronco.
Old 04-16-2006, 01:48 AM

Default Re: Hey there, 2+2 gurus.

have fun. if you're enjoying it good for you
Old 04-16-2006, 01:49 AM

Welcome to the forum
Old 04-16-2006, 01:50 AM

I enjoyed this post, honest [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-16-2006, 01:50 AM

Good luck in your future gambling exploits. It was fun to read.

Im glad you are practicing good bankroll management because that is one of the biggest reason why winning players go broke.

hhahaha, enjoying yourself. I wish I can say the same nowadays.

Every so often I will sit down at the penny tables and have a friendly chat with those penny tablers. I find it the most fun to be chatting with those peeps sitting down with 60 cents.

Reminds me of how far ive gone and changed...
Old 04-16-2006, 01:55 AM

I enjoyed this post until I realize he wasn't asking for money
Old 04-16-2006, 01:57 AM

ello dere.

Welcome to the forums.

Please do 3 very important things.

i) Lurk less and post more.
ii) don't be afraid of posting advice and comments to other peoples hands - I think you learn more when you do
iii) keep up the discipline - and stick at it...

I've learnt a lot here - I'm sure you can as well.
Old 04-16-2006, 01:58 AM

Thank you, Mercman572, Crego20, Gobgogbog, & Tien. You've made me feel welcome and not quite a complete donk.
Old 04-16-2006, 02:00 AM

Wow, Matrix128 even responded to this thread. Thank you, big guy. I respect your posts a great deal.

I promise to lurk less and post more.
Old 04-16-2006, 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i) Lurk less and post more.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one of the reasons I like this board. Normally you have the old hands screaming the opposite at the new guys. GG!