Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2007, 02:55 AM

Default Economics programs and careers

I am currently in electrical engineering at university of waterloo (top engineering school in canada) for my undergrad.

i'm in third year, and thinking about economics for grad studies.

was wondering what kind of careers are out there for those of you that have graduated from ECON both undergrad and masters?

thanks
Old 03-30-2007, 05:17 AM

Default Re: Economics programs and careers

if you mix it up with some accounting and finance, you will likely easily get a job for ~40k out of college if you are smart (that's not a lot of money)

most likely job is consulting if you do straight up econ and no other business courses

after you graduate from masters, i really have no clue what i can do, they aren't telling me either..... lol
Old 03-30-2007, 05:46 AM

Do financial engineering at U of T (they call it financial math). The transition would be much easier and the pay much better.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:03 AM

Economics is a very flexible major as its concept can be applied to a wide array of jobs. Because of that, it's similar to being a major in mathematics as you learn a set of skills applicable to a large range of occupations.

I know people who have Econ degrees who are now self-employed in a variety of job markets. Some econ grads just work in a more conventional job like being a financial analyst.

You can go into research. You can be a professor. You're not limited to just being an economist.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:56 AM

I'm graduating in December with a degree in Economics. My future plans are to continue being a Police Officer.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:45 AM

Assuming you are not locked into a masters degree at a Canadian school, take a look at the International Economice and Finance program at Brandeis University (Boston). Its a top flight program, one of the four semesters is abroad. Its expensive, but I felt it was worth it.

Careers that open up through this program: Any Wall St job (analyst, trader, currencies etc), many consulting jobs, M&A shops etc. I currently work as the Head of Research for an indepedent company (not affliated with a bank or Broker/dealer) in Denver.