Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Limit-->NL
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2007, 06:03 PM

Default Standard hand with top pair, facing pot-sized bet on the river

This was the hand that had me thinking the longest tonight.
I am open to comments on earlier streets, but am mostly interested in the river. What is your action if:
(1) villain is unknown.
(2) villain is rather loose, but not very aggressive so far
(3) villain seems a bit LAG, and specifically has AF by street of 2.0/1.5/6.0.

Image of hero is TAG/LAG, I have been playing 22/20/10 on this table so far, with lots of automatic c-bets on the flop, not showing down a lot at all.

Everest Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25/$0.50 (HH Converter by Kreatief)

Button (48.00)
SB (50.30)
BB (97.95)
MP3 (57.90) (Hero)
CO (46.50)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2.00</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls $1.75, BB calls $1.50,

Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ( $6 )
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $6.00</font>, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, BB calls $6.00,

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ( $18 )
BB checks, Hero checks,

River: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ( $18 )
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $18.00</font>, Hero ???,
Old 09-05-2007, 07:28 PM

Default Re: Standard hand with top pair, facing pot-sized bet on the river

there are no discernable draws that whiffed that might bluff at the end. when I'm in this situation, and I'm quite certain he isn't bluffing, I ask myself if he could have the hand one pip worse then mine. I think he has QT here alomost never, so I fold.

by the way its easy to fold correctly here then make a logical incorrect conclusion that you must bet the turn to ensure two streets of value. that's results oriented thinking. checking the turn is fine if the board is dry
Old 09-06-2007, 04:32 AM

I had folded a number of comparable situations before in this session. I folded on almost exactly this play about 3 orbits earlier against another villain (I had completely missed the flop but c-betted against just 1 villain there).

SO anyway, I called, fully prepared to curse myself for it, and villain showed down Ks3h.
(This appears to be fairly typical on Everest, many people will not fold the c-bet if they hit any part of the flop, but will not raise either.)

As a follow-on question, normally I'd call here if the bet was half pot or less. Does that make any sense?
Old 09-06-2007, 05:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As a follow-on question, normally I'd call here if the bet was half pot or less. Does that make any sense?

[/ QUOTE ]

The smaller the river bet the better pot odds you get calling down a bluff. If there is a 10% chance villains is bluffing you need a little better than 9-1 pot odds to call profitable. So if your read on villain says he makes half pot sized bets when bluffing and he is bluffing like that more 25% of the time then you are getting 3-1 pot odds and are getting the better part of it. But at half pot you really need a good read. If getting 9-1 or better you will on the other hand need the read that villain only bets small in this situation to extract a little extra value with a big hand, not to call.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:30 PM
 is offline

I usualy make a 1/2 to 2/3 potsize bet the turn, if you get checkraised on the turn you can fold your hand. I don`t think that villain`s hand improved with the ace. looks like a set or 2 pair to me. The way you played it I fold, you can only beat a complete bluff. Small pocket pairs and suited connectors are a big part of his range IMO.