Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 04:39 AM

Default When to move up in limit.

I currently play at Pokerstars .02/05 6 man table usually 4 sometimes 6. I play at the fast tables. My approximate win rate is 17PBTT/100. I play about 5 hours a day averaging about a 20 dollar profit per day. I cashed out 130.00 and currently have 115 in my account...up from 55 two days ago.

When do I know it's time to move up? I've had this win rate over 20K hands.

Questions:

1) How much a difference is there between 2/5c and 5/10 on stars?

2) I don't use any helping device. I've heard alot about Pokertraker, would this significantly improve my win rate?

I haven't found any good material about fast 6 handed tables at this level. Any advice on play? I generally play tight preflop, positional (although I could still work on that) and I continue bet heads up if I was raiser PF and I bet at my hands, with a very low amount of bluffing (people seem to call too much at this level).
Old 10-16-2007, 05:45 AM

Default Re: When to move up in limit.

Pokertracker is a wonderful tool for cash game players. It sounds like you know what your doing for the most part. PokerTracker (PT) will help you see what hands you are losing money with so you can stop playing them and start earning more money, it keeps track of your winnings and gives you useful graphs and information on opponents that you will face again and again.

As far as moving up in limits... I am unsure if you play NL or fixed limit holdem. If you are playing fixed limit then You want to have between 300 and 500 BB (Big bets) in your bankroll. so you are acctually playing under your bankroll if you have 115 dollars. you are healthily bank rolled for .10/.20 and almost up to .25/.50 kind of a big gap between those.

However if you play no limit holdem, disregard any of that bankroll information because I doubt it applies, ask someone else.

Hope some of this helped, GL at the tables.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:03 AM

these are no limit results
Old 10-16-2007, 11:50 PM

In no limit a bankroll of 20-30 buy-ins in usually recommended. So you probably want to wait until you have $200 before taking shots at NL$10.

I haven't played the micro-stakes for a long time but I didn't really notice much difference in quality of play until I hit NL$50.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In no limit a bankroll of 20-30 buy-ins in usually recommended.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is recommended out of context. It's like playing telephone. People say 20 buy-ins regardless of whether they are talking about NL $2 or NL $400. This is only reasonable if you feel your win rate is the same regardless of whether you are playing 3 pros and 2 half-decent losing players at NL $400, or 5 players who hate money (well, who hate pennies) at NL $2.

It is far, far more common for a solid winner to have a large downswing in a tough game where 5 PTBB/100 is a great win rate than in a soft game where 20 PTBB/100 is a great win rate.

[ QUOTE ]
So you probably want to wait until you have $200 before taking shots at NL$10.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, you should feel free to take shots at NL $10 even with the $115 you have now. Set a stop loss and move down if you hit a bad streak.