Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2006, 04:04 PM

Default How do you handle people trying to tilt you

So you are an avid 2+2 reader and you have a solid game and you are playing with crappy players and the only way they can beat you is to tilt you off your A-game. They do this by goading you and laughing and making fun of your tightness or whatever. How do you respond when their tactics start working? Leave the table?

-J
Old 12-07-2006, 04:26 PM

Default Re: How do you handle people trying to tilt you

[ QUOTE ]
So you are an avid 2+2 reader and you have a solid game and you are playing with crappy players and the only way they can beat you is to tilt you off your A-game. They do this by goading you and laughing and making fun of your tightness or whatever. How do you respond when their tactics start working? Leave the table?

-J

[/ QUOTE ]

You realize they are trying to tilt you and it still works? Wow. I usually don't realize until afterwards that thats what was going on, on the rare occasions people are able to tilt me. If you can recognize it, just ignore it or laugh about it.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:31 PM

Just ignore does not work for me.

-J
Old 12-07-2006, 07:00 PM

Frequently, they're not so much trying to anger you, they're actually trying to distract you.

By getting you over-focussed on their annoyance, they prevent you from focusing on your own game the way you need to in order to make your best decisions. So whether you're angry or not, you're still missing things and taking too little time to consider your strategic choices. That is their intent.

If you're too susceptible to this, you probably just want to find another game. People who do this aren't actually trying to push you off the table, they're trying to keep you at the table while taking your money. If you leave, they lose -- they're left having to start all over again with the next player who takes the seat. So if other games are available, I'd just quietly ask the floorperson for a table change, then fold quietly or maybe just take a "break" until a table change comes open. Then smile and move to a better game.

If the problem keeps up at a new table, however, it's probably because other players are seeing that this strategy works against you -- and that's a significant problem with your game. Talk less, slow down, take your time and consider your decisions more fully. Make an effort to stay focussed and REALLY play your best poker, and let the chatter get frustrated and start shifting their attention to someone else.

Lastly, if all else fails, you might want to just pack it in and try another room for your next few sessions (best way to get rid of a bad table image is to move to a new place where you don't have one yet [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ).

Anyway, just some thoughts off the top of my head, hope some of it helps. gl.

q/q
Old 12-07-2006, 08:45 PM

I try to tilt them by trying to find out if they have any recent deaths in the family and then making fun of that family member.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:14 PM

kick them...in the throat.

otherwise, i'm no help.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:24 PM

If you play online, turn off chat. If you play in a card room, joke right along with them. Exaggerate your tightness. Let them get in their heads that you are the tightest player ever. Then exploit there mistaken impressions.

For example, if you play NL, throw in an occassional bluff raise. For example, everyone limps and you are in the BB. Raise! Or a loose UTG raises and several players call and you are the button. Raise! Of course, you can only do this rarely or you lose your tight image.

The general rule is, if your opponent have a wrong impression re-enforce it and use it against them. This is much easier than trying to reverse there impressions. This should also help with your tilt because you see this now as an opportunity and a chance to take their money.

Paul
Old 12-08-2006, 03:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you play online, turn off chat. If you play in a card room, joke right along with them. Exaggerate your tightness. Let them get in their heads that you are the tightest player ever. Then exploit there mistaken impressions.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I was going to say. And if they start respecting your raises, raise more! If they don't, keep playing the same game, you'll get their money. You can make virgin jokes at the same time. Or make fun of their girlfriends, either works.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you should never play when you are tilted then you should absolutely leave if they manage to get you tilted. Sooner or later, though, you have to learn to not let them get you tilted. I do this by a combination of ignoring them, needling them right back (I'm better at insults than almost anybody when I want to be which is almost never) or just straight out telling them that their shtick doesn't work on you.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:48 AM

headphones...