Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: being a parent to one of these kids?
Brag 4 23.53%
Beat 5 29.41%
Variance 0 0%
wtf?!!11 8 47.06%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-12-2007, 07:36 PM

Default WSOP home game satelite series

I need some advice, if you guys wouldn't mind.In January I signed up to play in a 5 game series (1 a month). The buy in was $670 for 18 people, the winner would get $12,000 to buy in to the ME and have some expense money.The winner of the tourney doesn't get the money free and clear, he gets a % of the prize if he cashes and the other people divide the rest. After 5 tourneys I had the most points but before we started we decided that only 4 of the 5 would count, I ended up losing by 1 point(oh well).

Here's the problem, after everything was said and done, 1 guy didn't pay.The organizer of this tourney didn't make everyone pay up front for some reason.Now he wants everyone to pay an extra $40 bucks. Would you tell the guy to pound sand or would you pay the money?I only know one guy in this whole thing and he is the organizer and he isn't really a friend.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:49 PM

Default Re: WSOP home game satelite series

D'OH!

That sucks, man. I say pay and chalk it up to experience. Especially considering you placed second

Now you know not to play in tourneys unless the money's accounted for.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:16 PM

Unless the guy is a friend, of course you don't pay. You agreed to buy in for $670, not $710. If an online site sent you an email after you busted out of a tournament saying that they accidentally let some people play that didn't have any money in their accounts, and that they were therefore taking extra money out of your account to make up the difference, you'd throw a fit. This is no different. The organizer screwed up, he's on the hook for the extra cash.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:17 PM

you have 5 tournaments,

Tournament 1, Where's your money ? Forgot it...
Tournament 2, Where's your money ? Forgot it...
Tournament 3, Where's your money ? Forgot it ...

AT WHAT POINT DO YOU TELL THE GUY HE CAN'T PLAY TILL HE PONIES UP?

If the guy running it is dumb enough to let a guy play on credit, he should cover the shortage since he let him in.

He's too cheap to do the right thing ? ok here are 2 other solutions:

The entry is 11 k eat the 640 out of the expense money if the winner can't or won't swing it, 2nd place gets the option....

The other option is pay out the prize pool in cash by points, next time get the $$$ in front !!!
Old 06-12-2007, 09:39 PM

Thanks guys for the great advice.I would love to hear what everybody else thinks.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:30 AM

I'd probably pay the $40 to guarantee you got a piece of the action if the winner ends up cashing, however slight that is, you'd probably kick yourself if you didn't get a piece of the action.

Or suggest that the winner make up the difference of $40 x 18 ($720) and reduce the percantage given if he wins.

Sounds like a cool idea if organized well and eliminates some variance.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:22 AM

I hope you guys think about one other thing. What happens if the the guy goes onto place in the money at the WSOP, say for a million. The guy that didn't pay may claim part of the money.

I would meeet with the rest of the guys and then go pay a visit to the guy that wouldn't pay up.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd probably pay the $40 to guarantee you got a piece of the action if the winner ends up cashing, however slight that is, you'd probably kick yourself if you didn't get a piece of the action.

Or suggest that the winner make up the difference of $40 x 18 ($720) and reduce the percantage given if he wins.

Sounds like a cool idea if organized well and eliminates some variance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, what if he cashes big? I think you should get something in writing before paying the extra $40
Old 06-13-2007, 01:14 PM

Get this crap all in writing btw.

That seems really janky that only 4 of 5 count too.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:09 PM

Wow. There are a few problems here. First, the tournament organizer should make up the extra money. He's the house, he's the banker, he's responsible. You don't run a cash game, find the bank short by $400 and ask others to cover it. Same thing applies to a tournament.

Second, maybe I'm missing something, but why would you pay to enter a satellite, and not have 100% of yourself should you win? If I won a tournament like this for $11K or $12K, it means I WON THE TOURNAMENT!!!No one is sponsoring me to go play, so how on earth do they get a piece of my action.