Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2007, 08:50 PM

Default Old Hand, New Tactics?

This post is "tainted" by the fact that it occured months ago and I've learned a lot since then. Should still make for a decent discussion. If I remember correctly, this was one of my first sessions having moved up to .5/1. It's also before my slump of doom kicked in and I had to do major mindset/tactic rethinking. I was still good enough though then to notice that the guy was going on tilt or otherwise just waay too LAG for his own good. Just how loose he was has become hazey as the months have passed, but I think I remember him being fully capable of betting/bluffing away chips with hands that nowhere near warranted what he had. He might be safely on the maniac side, but he's not slowing down and the board is sort of coordinated and the "fluke" hands must be considered.

Do you slow down or do anything differently? Do you bother putting him on one of the few hands that beat you or do you just floor it and accept the potential "variance"?

FWIW: MP folds due to disconnect on the river.

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, Button calls.

Flop: (13 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls, MP calls.

Turn: (11.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls, MP calls.

River: (23.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 31.50 BB
Old 02-21-2007, 08:59 PM

Default Re: Old Hand, New Tactics?

hell no this hand is perfect. ARRRRRRRRRR IN!!
Old 02-21-2007, 09:06 PM

Flop check is disgusting. Rest is fine given the read. If he were sane I would check/call or bet/call the river.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:21 PM

I'll say it: Whe you lose with a set (especially top set), and you dont lose lots of money, you probably played it wrong.

Yes, I know that is simplistic advice, but it probably fits here
Old 02-21-2007, 09:50 PM

i dont 3bet the turn or check the flop.

preflop and river are fine
Old 02-21-2007, 10:02 PM

Location: Hastings 3L!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd lead the flop for sure. you did cap preflop. Sure they will likely bet, but if you C/R they might slowdown. Leading allows you to 3-town a raise and is more certain to get money in the pot.

Turn is fine.

My first instinct on the river was call his raise after all that action and that he has AA, but I think thats some bias seeping in with what I think this thread's result will be. THen after thinking about it there are tons of hands he could play like this that justify you 3-betting on the river after having every street capped. (QJ,AKs,AQs,KK,99, AJ) If he hit his AA or JJ then you got screwed, just pay him off with your 10bb, punch your cat and forget about it.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:06 PM

I would never punch my cat. I'd punch my sister!!

Actually I don't have either, so no worries there.

Anyone else having bias seeping into their advice? I'll post my results after class tonight if ye like. That's 3 more hours of quality advice. Yeah, Checking the flop was silly. Carry on.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:32 PM

i haven't seen this before (or don't remember it). just lead out and cap every street. nh.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:27 AM

during a game I would probably call down after the turn raise (unless this guy is a complete spazz ... if he is just a standard laggy type, I'll still give him some credit after how the action has been layed out)

your PF-CAP Flop open check 3bet is too big of a sign (even for a retard) that says SET or AA ... yet villian doesn't care,and caps (and still raises the turn)

after the flop action: I would say AA, KK, JJ, 99 mabye other sutff like AdKd, QJ, AQ, AJ, JdTd

the turn kills the most probable (especially after he countines to raise) ... the river get even worse

note: over my year of poker play, I've never played a with complete spazz that would give action like this when I was ahead (so my reply can only compare this situation to what I've experienced in terms of spazzness ...)
Old 02-22-2007, 01:29 AM

DON'T CHANGE THE CHANNEL!! Shocking results for those that mouse over. Was this what you were expecting Blank?

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Button has Tc Ts (two pair, jacks and tens).
Hero has Qs Qc (full house, queens full of jacks).
Outcome: Hero wins 31.50 BB. </font>