Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2007, 04:18 PM

Default Converting a regular league into a keeper league.

We drafted as a normal league. Payout is the same for the reg season champ as it is for the post-season champ. 8 teams.

Now I kind of want to make it a keeper league. The complaint I hear is: "if this was a keeper league I would have played/drafted differently"... which is valid.

Honestly, I don't fully understand how keepers work. How many people should each person get to keep?

We'd also like to add some more people next year (and may lose some), so how would that work?

Also, would a method of allowing people who give up their keeper slots for extra, high draft picks work as a compromise for not knowing it was a keeper right off the bat?
Old 07-10-2007, 04:37 PM

Default Re: Converting a regular league into a keeper league.

Don't convert a redraft to a keeper. It never works. Redraft next year with the clear understanding to all members that it is a keeper league.

I'd have people vote on the number of keepers. I don't feel there is a magic number. As long as everyone agrees on the number, it's fair. I've played in leagues where we kept 4 and 5; those seem to work pretty good. It also depends on your roster size.

When you replace someone in a keeper league, you just have the new person take over the old roster. Or you just dissolve that team and put the players back into the redraft pool.

The biggest challenge in a keeper league is when trades for "next year" start going down. People will deal their aging productive players for prospects or draft picks, and some people in your league will start crowing about "competitive balance" or some nonsense. That is always the biggest headache in a keeper league, so be ready for that. Other than that, they are a lot of fun and people tend to stay more involved for the entire season.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Redraft next year with the clear understanding to all members that it is a keeper league.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is right. we transitioned from a snake drake to an auction draft this year, and even that was a gigantic mess (was keepers, still are keepers). it's better to cut and start are all over, particularly if this is a newer league.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:28 PM

One of my leagues with close friends got changed to a keeper league mid year 4 years ago and it killed me. We kept 12 in that league as well, so it hurt for a long time to not have drafted younger. Certainly wait until next year to start this.